Help, I need some input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I saw a local ad for the adoption of a redfoot and they have had it for 5 1/2 years in a 20 long aquarium! Pyramiding looks pretty severe. They are asking $200 for everything. Tort, aquarium, hide log, heat pad (ugh), lights, etc. I asked them if they would be willing to come down in price that I only wanted the tort. I feel bad for him. Am I crazy? I cannot afford $200, but he obviously isn't eating properly.
How hard are they to keep. I have sulcatas which I think are pretty straight forward. Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't know what to do. Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What do you mean by can't afford him? Does that mean you will just have to spend money wisely for a bit and not splurge? Or to come up with the money will you not pay a bill you should? Can you safely squeeze this money out of the budget? Or will it cause you to not be able to provide the needed food, care, environment for yourself and all others depending upon you?

Can you afford or do you already have a way to house him properly while you isolate him? What if he needs a vet? Do you have the room for him? The space or abilty to give him time outside (thinking about his soft shell)?

As long as you can safely and some what comfortably spend the money I would. I am a softy. Just remember your priority is to what you already have.

His needs are not the same as a sulcata, mostly diet and humidity. Check out some redfoot care sites and see eactly what the differences are. I have never had a sulcata, but have a few reds. I find them one of the easiest torts to keep and great personalities.

Don't guilt yourself out if you can't help him. If you can't afford the $200 and they won't come down in price, maybe ask around and see if you can locate another softee to adopt him. It's easy to over extend yourself because you want to help them all out, but that only leads to you not correctly caring for what you have.

Keep us posted.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks Jacqui. I do have somewhere to put him. My torts don't get natural light this time of year. Too Cold! I just have to really think.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your stopping and thinking, which is the best thing. So much easier to just jump in first and then regret the impulse later.

I know, this is the time of year when most of us are scrambling to get those last few hours of outside time in, yet not leave them out too long. Wishing we had a tad longer season with those nice fresh and usually free food sources that are so much better then the winter substitutes we have to use. Thoughts going to how much those new lights will cost and what our electrical rates will go up too.:(

It usually makes getting new animals at this time of year harder or atleast more costly in both money and planning.

This animal has some serious surface needs it sounds like, not to mention there may be more subtle problems there or coming. It's going to need a bit more work and quality care, equipment, and food then you might otherwise get by with.

I don't want to come off as negative about you getting him. Just playing the devil's advocate and maybe giving you things to think about you might not otherwise consider. I hope you are able to help him out.

Have the owner's budged on lowering the price? Have you told them what different care he should be getting atleast until they do find him a new home?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Jacqui, They have not even responded. So, perhaps they found someone already. If they have, hopefully it is someone that knows what they are doing. I'll just have to keep my eyes open to find another to adopt. Seeing them like that just kills me though. You just don't see many adoptions for torts other that sulcatas or res around here. So, I guess its just not time for it to happen. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.