Status
Not open for further replies.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento Area
005.JPG

007.JPG

Hello, can anyone help me identify this Desert Tortoise. He has been with a distant family member for over 30 years, it is getting to hard for them to take care of him, and I am considering taking him. I have already researched the permit process, and know I would need to obtain one. I am told he is about 40 years old. He is about 11-12 inches long. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I'm no expert.... but looks like a California Desert Tortoise. Because of the round shape i'd guess female based on the photos. Great looking tortoise!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a CDT to me, and a male based on that gular.
Looks like it is a nice size one.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
Thank you, he definatly is a male, very long gular and very concaved as well. Thats two votes for CDT : ) Glad I posted, I was thinking he looked more like a Gopher Tortoise based on photos I looked at. I will post another photo later with him all cleaned up.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello....I am going with CDT as well....and the mud is what makes HIM perfect :D....nothing quite like a mudded up CDT....

If I were you I would keep an eye out...in the first pic he looks like he is being stalked by the ever elusive 5 toe ....two of them closing in on him from behind... :p

Also, is that a prior tether hole on the rear of him? :(

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
ascott said:
Hello....I am going with CDT as well....and the mud is what makes HIM perfect :D....nothing quite like a mudded up CDT....

If I were you I would keep an eye out...in the first pic he looks like he is being stalked by the ever elusive 5 toe ....two of them closing in on him from behind... :p

Also, is that a prior tether hole on the rear of him? :(

These are distant family members, hours away that I myself havent known long. My father actually got their info for me at a funeral where it came up that they were looking for a home for this gorgeous guy, so I havent asked about the tether hole : ( but I think it is awful. I have lots of room for him to roam free within the enclosure we will have ready for him. Thanks for the info : )

M

Maggie Cummings

ascott said:
Awesome and how fun and exciting :D

I laugh every time you point out the "ever elusive 5 toe". I never get tired of laughing at that...just like I always laugh at May Anne peeing her pants laughing. I guess I am easy to entertain...

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
It WAS pretty funny, even funnier that I had to look in the pic to see what was coming from behind, lol...thats when I got it, haaha

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Funny story....I heard of a painted 5 toe the same color as an iroc-z ....now that made me laugh so hard I bet Mary Ann peed her pants.....:D:D:D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
maggie3fan said:
ascott said:
Awesome and how fun and exciting :D

I laugh every time you point out the "ever elusive 5 toe". I never get tired of laughing at that...just like I always laugh at May Anne peeing her pants laughing. I guess I am easy to entertain...
I am easily entertained too! :p I am potty trained tho it may not seem like it!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.