Help identifying please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you.
This guy is on Craigslist and I think its a three toed?
They guy has had it for 4 years and only knows that it is a box turtle
IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
looks like an ornate to me....

M

Maggie Cummings

From the pattern on the carapace it could be an Ornata or a Florida. That's a really crappy picture so it's hard to tell, it's probably an Ornata...Makes me wonder...how in the heck can you take care of something and feed it correctly if you don't know EXACTLY what it is!!!? Jeeze! Is it for sale? You can tell from the bumpy carapace he hasn't had the correct food or lighting...poor thing!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Not 100% because male 3 toeds can have markings on their shells too...But usually not to that extent. Doe he have any more pics of it?

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoise_addict said:
Meg90 said:
looks like an ornate to me....

Really?? That is what I want. Are you certain?

You can't be certain from that lousy picture...but I agree with Meg, *probably* an ornate...they are simply GREAT little box turtles!

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, I am asking for some pictures taken in better light. All he has is his cell phone.
He has no clue and I am sure this turtle would love a proper diet.

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoise_addict said:
Thanks, I am asking for some pictures taken in better light. All he has is his cell phone.
He has no clue and I am sure this turtle would love a proper diet.

Are you going to buy him?

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
tortoise_addict said:
Thank you.
This guy is on Craigslist and I think its a three toed?
They guy has had it for 4 years and only knows that it is a box turtle
IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg
Hi,

It looks like the desert form of an ornate. I can't remember the spelling, but it is something like "Terrapenne ornata lueteola". The males can lose a lot of their carapace pattern with age, but the females maintain the faint radiating lines. Males will usually have greenish heads with red eyes, while females will have a blotchy pattern to their skin. It is hard to tell from the the pic whether it is an ornate or a desert ornate, but ornates do not have as many carapace lines and tend to be more vibrantly colored. From the pic, I would say femal desert. Do a search for images of both types and you should be able to see it clearly. Ornates are easier to keep than deserts. Deserts can be prone to respiratory problems if the habitat is not correct. Both species eat a higher percentage of insects and animal matter than other box turtle species.

Hope this helps

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is a Desert box turtle, Terrapene ornata luteola and most likely a female.

M

Maggie Cummings

egyptiandan said:
It is a Desert box turtle, Terrapene ornata luteola and most likely a female.

OK I give up:p I don't see any difference...she/he looks like an ornate...What is different that tells you it's a luteola? I want to know what to look for...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The luteola is a more muted version...a more faded pattern.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you look at the second coastal scute Maggie. On Terrapene ornata ornata there are only 5 to 8 rays. On T.o.luteola there are 11 to 14 rays. Anything inbetween is a cross between the 2.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

egyptiandan said:
If you look at the second coastal scute Maggie. On Terrapene ornata ornata there are only 5 to 8 rays. On T.o.luteola there are 11 to 14 rays. Anything inbetween is a cross between the 2.

Danny

You are something else! Thanks...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I use to have a few desert ornates, and a few ornates, and this guy looks desert. I'm not as good as Dan with the identification but what i noticed desert ornates to have is more of a wide shell, with it being flatter on top. Also the more line on the paterns, and it always seems to be less bright, more of a dual look. But its deff an ornate and not a 3toed.

Status
Not open for further replies.