Help identifying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpoertner

5 Year Member
I rescued him from the local animal shelter. Can anyone help identify what kind of tortoise he is? Also will the damage to shell heal?

top.jpg

front.jpg

yard.jpg

bottom.jpg

Thanks!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think its a older male box turtle.
Not sure what type.
looks like a dog used as a chew toy.
Other can tell you more about the damage and what he needs.. and confirm what he/it is.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
first one looks like 3 toed box turtle, 2nd one maybe a gulf cost or something, both are box turtles.

mpoertner

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
first one looks like 3 toed box turtle, 2nd one maybe a gulf cost or something, both are box turtles.

All 4 pics are the same tortoise. He's got more than 3 toes in back 4 I think but I counted 5 in front. He does look a bit like a Gulf Coast now that I'm finding more pictures of those.... hm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks like a gulf coast box turtle to me, however, he's not as big as they normally get (so maybe he's still young???)

The old white chew marks can eventually be picked off and you will see new shell underneath. But it takes a very long time. Don't try to force it.

Yvonne

(We call a Terrapene carolina triunguis a "3-toed" box turtle because they USUALLY have only 3 toes on the back feet. However this isn't 100% the case. Some 3-toes have 4. And because of the size, yours might be a 3-toe)

Yvonne

And if he's a gulf coast, he's a Terapene carolina major.

mpoertner

5 Year Member
Thanks for everyone's help! Hopefully I can give him a better home.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have an adult male Gulf Coast box turtle, Terrapene carolina major.
The white you see is dead bone. It looks to be well healed. That damage and the missing bits of marginal scutes was caused by another male box turtle. Male box turtles can get into some nasty fights with each other, when they come across each other in the wild.

Danny

mpoertner

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You have an adult male Gulf Coast box turtle, Terrapene carolina major.
The white you see is dead bone. It looks to be well healed. That damage and the missing bits of marginal scutes was caused by another male box turtle. Male box turtles can get into some nasty fights with each other, when they come across each other in the wild.

Danny

Wow, I had no idea they could cause damage like that. I thought they didn't have teeth?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No teeth, but they have a beak something like a parrot. And it is hard as bone.

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
I'd go with T.c.major because it appears to be male and has brown eyes. Most other boxies don't have that as a regular occurance however Major do.

Major size can be quite varied also. Most males are huge 7.5 - 8.5" at full growth but there are some that are smaller.

Where did you get him? A geography could help id him although if I was a betting man, I'd be saying Major all the way.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.