HELP! Is my Tortoise getting it's Calcium?

PlatinumTortoise

My Redfoot tortoise is 2 months old and it usually eats spring mix veggies and Kale... lots of kale... I was wondering if that was enough Calcium for my Tortoise...

I DO NOT give it Cuddle fish bone or calcium supplements of any kind!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
A perfectly balanced diet should give a tortoise it's calcium needs without the use of cuttle bone or supplements.
After all, they don't have these in the wild.
However, is his diet sufficient in calcium?
Extra calcium is always needed for a growing tortoise and if the veggies fed are grown in calcium deplete soils, or he doesn't eat enough of the calcium rich veggies he may not be getting enough.
A cuttle bone will give him the extra if he needs it, often they seem to know when they are short of something in their diet and will try to eat odd objects to compensate. Cuttle bone can also help keep its beak trimmed too.
Some torts won't eat it, so a little grated onto his food a couple of times a week may help.
Supplements seem to be favoured by others, as some torts like them and they usually have other beneficial ingredients in them too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry - can't be of help here - am no expert.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably not enough calcium and the other compounds in kale make it not good to feed it all the time.

I think your diet needs lot more variety and grocery store foods are not the best way to go. Here are some suggestions for other, better things:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

PlatinumTortoise

I have a 2 month old baby red foot tortoise who usually eats spring mix consisting of romaine lettuce, spinach other greens and also eats ALOT of Kale.... He DOES NOT eat calcium supplements of any kind and also has the occasional fruit.... Is my Tortoise getting enough calcium? How would I know?

Please be specific... and give straight answers... THX!!! :) :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds good, I would cut out the spinach. It has calcium binders in it
You can lightly sprinkle calcium on the food two to three times a week.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Does he have access to a cuttlefish bone? He may start to nibble on that if he is calcium deficient and it will also help keep his beak trimmed. Not all torts bother with them, but you could lightly scrape some over his food a few times a week to provide calcium too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 2 month old baby red foot tortoise who usually eats spring mix consisting of romaine lettuce, spinach other greens and also eats ALOT of Kale.... He DOES NOT eat calcium supplements of any kind and also has the occasional fruit.... Is my Tortoise getting enough calcium? How would I know?

Please be specific... and give straight answers... THX!!! :) :D

Did you not like the answers the first time you posted this question?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I didn't actually, you must of posted the answers though.
Tom's given you a long list of good foods for torts which will help with his calcium levels, and as Grandpa says your tort needs vital uv from the sun or his lights (to help digestion and absorption of minerals etc). If your tort is getting a healthy diet and uv you only need to sprinkle calcium a few times a week, and leave a cuttle fish bone in his enclosure so he can help himself if he thinks he needs it. If you do a search for symptoms of calcium deficiency in torts (or similar)you'll see what sort of things could happen - but with a varied healthy diet and uv hopefully those could be avoided.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. You've been given solid advice.
Are you able to provide natural sunlight at all during the day? It would be very beneficial.
Also, a word of warning. When my Redfoot tortoises are not provided some sort of calcium supplement such as Cuddlbone, they often eat rocks and whatever else they can find as a replacement. This would not be good for a baby.
It's true that 90% of the time, they will ignore the cuddlebone altogether. But the 10% is what counts.
Instead of the white powdered calcium supplement that many tortoises don't like the taste of, I also use a product called Repashy. It is brown in color and my Redfoot seem to act like it isn't there.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Are you able to provide natural sunlight at all during the day? It would be very beneficial.
Also, a word of warning. When my Redfoot tortoises are not provided some sort of calcium supplement such as Cuddlbone, they often eat rocks and whatever else they can find as a replacement. This would not be good for a baby.
It's true that 90% of the time, they will ignore the cuddlebone altogether. But the 10% is what counts.
Instead of the white powdered calcium supplement that many tortoises don't like the taste of, I also use a product called Repashy. It is brown in color and my Redfoot seem to act like it isn't there.

Jumping in because this is the first time I've seen mention of this product and am very interested -

http://www.store.repashy.com/grassland-grazer-12-oz.-340g-3-4-lb-jar.html Is that the right kind? I think I'd like to get some!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No. The powder that @keepergale posted is what I use and like.

Randi

Canada
When I first joined this forum, I saw a post that ZEROPILOT made about Repashy.. my Red Foot refused anything with calcium on it. I went out and bought some, added it to the food and s/he never refused. I recommend the Repashy. It's wonderful. Thanks, ZEROPILOT :D