HELP! Is my Tortoise okay?

GregCobb

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello,

Our dog “played” with our tortoise while we were sleeping. There doesn’t appear to be any cracks or holes in his shell, but our dog licked the shell so much that the color is gone in spots and it’s like you can see veins or something on the shell. This is our first tortoise and we’ve only had him a week and have limited knowledge about them. Is Ollie the Tortoise going to be okay? Any advice is appreciated!7D735EAF-D259-44BE-8CF8-72E3443B3177.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello,

Our dog “played” with our tortoise while we were sleeping. There doesn’t appear to be any cracks or holes in his shell, but our dog licked the shell so much that the color is gone in spots and it’s like you can see veins or something on the shell. This is our first tortoise and we’ve only had him a week and have limited knowledge about them. Is Ollie the Tortoise going to be okay? Any advice is appreciated!View attachment 315770
Poor tortoise. What your seeing is bone, that's not from licking that's from being chewed on. The tortoise will probably survive but it's always going to look like that now.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
The dog hasnt licked the colour off, it has chewed all of the shell off. What remains is the exposed bone that anchors the shell. The "veins" are where the various bones join together.

Your tortoise is in a serious condition. At the very least it will take years to recover and may be painful. This needs to see an experienced tort vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would be sure to keep the area clean and put some antibiotic cream on it so it doesn't get infected. If you have an actual tortoise vet that you know has knowledge of tortoises I would bring him in to be checked. Otherwise keep him warm and clean and an eye on him
Yes, your dog chewed him and must never be allowed to get near him again.

GregCobb

Washington
Ollie is doing much better! Pain meds and a bath with medicine to prevent infection. The dog didn’t, and doesn’t, have access to him. His cage broke when we were sleeping and that’s how the encounter happened. Ollie is still social and likes his new enclosure.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Ollie is doing much better! Pain meds and a bath with medicine to prevent infection. The dog didn’t, and doesn’t, have access to him. His cage broke when we were sleeping and that’s how the encounter happened. Ollie is still social and likes his new enclosure.
That's good to hear. I've been watching to see if he's ok. I don't have a tort yet but have 2 cats. Eyes are again reopened to how delicate torts up.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
At all costs keep your dog away from your tortoise going forward. The dog now already views it as a toy or challenge to get to. As you can see it will not end well for your tort. Good luck.