Weird tortoise shell spots.

ILoveMyTortoise143

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello, I have recently acquired my baby redfoot tortoise and it seems to have some weird spots on the shell. I am worried that it could be shell rot but I can't tell if you have any ideas or tips please help me out thank you so much!

Attachments

• unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It is not shell rot, shell rot isnt as common as the internet makes it sound and it only really occurs on the plastron. What you are seeing is dryness, probably because your torts environment is a bit too dry or you have the wrong kind of lighting. Tell us more about your setup, what lights, temps, size of enclosure, diet etc. . . @ZEROPILOT is a redfoot expert.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are either water stains from calcium or something like that.
Please get rid of that moss ASAP.
It's very dangerous because it gets nibbled on and then gets stuck in the digestive tracts. I'm not convinced that it's marbling because of the spotty pattern and the fact that it's not just in the growth lines.
But at any rate, it's nothing to be concerned about

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, I have recently acquired my baby redfoot tortoise and it seems to have some weird spots on the shell. I am worried that it could be shell rot but I can't tell if you have any ideas or tips please help me out thank you so much!
Those look like hard water stains to me. Those are left when the water evaporates off the shell after a soak. You can use some white vinegar or lemon juice on a rag or a cotton swab to wipe them off. You can also use a soft toothbrush to get into the little crevices better. Vinegar works best if a bit warm.

I'd be surprised if that remedy doesn't work for you.

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
It is not shell rot, shell rot isnt as common as the internet makes it sound and it only really occurs on the plastron. What you are seeing is dryness, probably because your torts environment is a bit too dry or you have the wrong kind of lighting. Tell us more about your setup, what lights, temps, size of enclosure, diet etc. . . @ZEROPILOT is a redfoot expert.
Hello, I'm using a CHE bulb and the UVB lamp is a reptisun terrarium hood the 14" one. The tank size is about 12x36" and its diet is just a kale spring mix with cuttlebones.

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
They are either water stains from calcium or something like that.
Please get rid of that moss ASAP.
It's very dangerous because it gets nibbled on and then gets stuck in the digestive tracts. I'm not convinced that it's marbling because of the spotty pattern and the fact that it's not just in the growth lines.
But at any rate, it's nothing to be concerned about
Thank you so much for your recommendation! I will for sure get rid of the moss. Also is it a good idea to always mist my redfoot's enclosure? I'm asking because the humidity reading is always below 80 but I'm worried that it will be too wet Also how do I know if I'm over feeding him? Thank you again!

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
Those look like hard water stains to me. Those are left when the water evaporates off the shell after a soak. You can use some white vinegar or lemon juice on a rag or a cotton swab to wipe them off. You can also use a soft toothbrush to get into the little crevices better. Vinegar works best if a bit warm.

I'd be surprised if that remedy doesn't work for you.
Thank you for the tips!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello, I'm using a CHE bulb and the UVB lamp is a reptisun terrarium hood the 14" one. The tank size is about 12x36" and its diet is just a kale spring mix with cuttlebones.
That diet is pretty terrible for a Redfoot
Give him some fruit right away. And I'll try to provide you with a foods list tomorrow.
I have no time this evening

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
That diet is pretty terrible for a Redfoot
Give him some fruit right away. And I'll try to provide you with a foods list tomorrow.
I have no time this evening
Woah I see sorry I didn't know! the store people where I bought the tortoise said that's what they feed it so I opted to do the same. I also got some Repashy Grassland Grazer for it but it's not interested in eating that from what I can observe. I also soak my tortoise in Zoo Med Electrolyte Soak quite often so is that a problem? Also is there a method to determine how much I should be feeding him every time? Thank you so much for your help and time!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, how big is he? A 12x36 is only good for a hatchling. Yours looks bigger than a hatchling. If it is, get a bigger enclosure ASAP or you will have walking and digestive problems.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Woah I see sorry I didn't know! the store people where I bought the tortoise said that's what they feed it so I opted to do the same. I also got some Repashy Grassland Grazer for it but it's not interested in eating that from what I can observe. I also soak my tortoise in Zoo Med Electrolyte Soak quite often so is that a problem? Also is there a method to determine how much I should be feeding him every time? Thank you so much for your help and time!
They're not grassland grazers. In fact. They don't really graze. And they don't eat grass.
For soaks use straight, warm tap water. (Only)
Disregard anything that pet shops say. Do not buy anything that they sell.
You can get MAZURI 5M21 tortoise chow on Amazon.
Feed 60% fruit.
Leafy greens
Vegetable matter
Edible flowers
Cactus
Mushrooms and meat protein including mashed. Whole boiled eggs.

Almost anything fresh and un processed that you and your family eat. He can eat.
Redfoot is a special species. They can eat nearly anything.
He also needs a constant, ambient temperature of between 80 and 90. 82 to 84 is just perfect. He's also going to need humidity of over 75%.
Can you provide photos of your enclosure and your equipment? It sounds like you've been given bad information.
Almost nothing that pet shops sell is what you need. And usually the correct equipment is even less expensive than the pet shop junk.

We'll get you on the right track

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
Also, how big is he? A 12x36 is only good for a hatchling. Yours looks bigger than a hatchling. If it is, get a bigger enclosure ASAP or you will have walking and digestive problems.
Yes, he is quite small still I'm trying to upgrade his tank soon though!

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
They're not grassland grazers. In fact. They don't really graze. And they don't eat grass.
For soaks use straight, warm tap water. (Only)
Disregard anything that pet shops say. Do not buy anything that they sell.
You can get MAZURI 5M21 tortoise chow on Amazon.
Feed 60% fruit.
Leafy greens
Vegetable matter
Edible flowers
Cactus
Mushrooms and meat protein including mashed. Whole boiled eggs.

Almost anything fresh and un processed that you and your family eat. He can eat.
Redfoot is a special species. They can eat nearly anything.
He also needs a constant, ambient temperature of between 80 and 90. 82 to 84 is just perfect. He's also going to need humidity of over 75%.
Can you provide photos of your enclosure and your equipment? It sounds like you've been given bad information.
Almost nothing that pet shops sell is what you need. And usually the correct equipment is even less expensive than the pet shop junk.

We'll get you on the right track
Ah, I see. I have fed him fruits like watermelon and strawberries before but just not that often. Also cucumbers too! So feeding redfoots a lot of fruits is ok then right? As for temperatures, it's about that around the basking lamp but under is a bit hot I'll be changing that soon and get one of those lamp clips that brings it up higher. How much should I feed him/how often? I'm asking because I see a lot of people saying that it's deadly to overfeed tortoises. And how often should I soak him? Thank you for your help!!!

P.s. is this the right chow?

Here is the enclosure as I have taken out the moss.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I know very little about redfoots, but I do know that tortoises in general don't over-eat - he will eat as much as he needs. They are not like us greedy humans! Of course, if a tortoise is fed the wrong food, it could make him ill, and he could die. They are grazing animals, and if you put food out for him in the morning, you can top it up as the day goes by.
Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
I know very little about redfoots, but I do know that tortoises in general don't over-eat - he will eat as much as he needs. They are not like us greedy humans! Of course, if a tortoise is fed the wrong food, it could make him ill, and he could die. They are grazing animals, and if you put food out for him in the morning, you can top it up as the day goes by.
Angie
Thank you so much! I was really worried when I had the food in there because people were talking about over feeding ;-;

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! I was really worried when I had the food in there because people were talking about over feeding ;-;
People suggest you put out an amount which would fill his shell if upside down like a bowl -then give more if he eats it all. Try to give a good mix of things every day. I have been reading lots of stuff on this forum for some years now, and I've never read of a tortoise dying of overeating - Who told you that?
Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
People suggest you put out an amount which would fill his shell if upside down like a bowl -then give more if he eats it all. Try to give a good mix of things every day. I have been reading lots of stuff on this forum for some years now, and I've never read of a tortoise dying of overeating - Who told you that?
Angie
Oh sorry I don't mean like dying from overeating but I just read from pages that say obesity is deadly to tortoises and so it is bad to over feed :eek:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Tortoises shouldn't get obese, of course, and if they have the right food and an opportunity to exercise, that won't happen. I f they were fed the wrong food, and lived in a fishtank size enclosure, then it could happen. But you are obviously not going to do that to him - he is going to be a happy boy living a good life.
By the way, it's a good idea to weigh him regularly and chart his progress - I suggest putting on a piece of paper and drawing round his shell now and then, to see how he is growing.
Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
Tortoises shouldn't get obese, of course, and if they have the right food and an opportunity to exercise, that won't happen. I f they were fed the wrong food, and lived in a fishtank size enclosure, then it could happen. But you are obviously not going to do that to him - he is going to be a happy boy living a good life.
By the way, it's a good idea to weigh him regularly and chart his progress - I suggest putting on a piece of paper and drawing round his shell now and then, to see how he is growing.
Angie
I didn't even think of that thank you for your suggestion!! :D