HELP!! Is this normal or fungal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I adopted a couple baby redfoots last week that were kept on wet substrate. I noticed this yesterday when I took them outside for some sun. The first one is the smallest, and the punctures are from a dog that had gotten ahold of it at the previous owners. The second one is of the largest of the two. Is this a fungal infection?

redfootoutdoorfeedinglargerones033.jpg

redfootoutdoorfeedinglargerones035.jpg

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No; all is well, that is just new growth on the seams of the scutes. That is on the second picture. The first is just not growing as fast. Redfoots grow in brown or black markings on their shell as they grow that is not alwaws present when they hatch. Best wishes Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Douglas! I am new to redfoots, and I know they can easily obtain fungal infections if their living conditions are not just so. I guess you could say I get a little paranoid :rolleyes:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Carolyn, I think you were talking about the coloration near the seams of the scutes of the plastron. However, I would be concerned at the gular and humeral scutes in the first pic. To me there looks like there could be something going on there (fungal ? Infection? Or just Injury?). I don't have RF. Just my opinion, but I might have this one checked by a vet, especially if a dog was using it as a chew toy.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Crazy1 said:
Carolyn, I think you were talking about the coloration near the seams of the scutes of the plastron. However, I would be concerned at the gular and humeral scutes in the first pic. To me there looks like there could be something going on there (fungal ? Infection? Or just Injury?). I don't have RF. Just my opinion, but I might have this one checked by a vet, especially if a dog was using it as a chew toy.
Those are dog bites but from the picture they appear to be healing well. Keeping them on sphagum moss will help keep any fungus down (the moss is acidic and fungus doesn't grow well in that).

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Robyn, Itort. I have been keeping them on Mosser Lee's long fibered sphagnum moss;). They are both extremely shy..in fact I hardly ever see them come out. I had been digging them out to feed (they would eat when I did this) , but I decided to let them come out on their own when they're ready. As I've told others they won't let themselves starve.

Status
Not open for further replies.