Help me identify species and sex of my tortoise

Icebrakr37

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hello! New tortoise owners here! We purchased our first one at a local reptile shop. We were told he was male and Hermann and relinquished from another owner.

When we took him to the vet….the vet said it looked female based on their shell and that it is a mixed species with Hermann and something else.
Hard to tell!!

Any knowledgeable folks out there to help me confirm if it is a female and possible mix of species? Here is Spike!!

Attachments

• IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3682.jpeg
    IMG_3682.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! New tortoise owners here! We purchased our first one at a local reptile shop. We were told he was male and Hermann and relinquished from another owner.

When we took him to the vet….the vet said it looked female based on their shell and that it is a mixed species with Hermann and something else.
Hard to tell!!

Any knowledgeable folks out there to help me confirm if it is a female and possible mix of species? Here is Spike!!
Is the cloacal opening near the base of the tail, or more out toward the middle of the tail?

Is there any concavity to the plastron?

Here is the care info:

Icebrakr37

Illinois
Is the cloacal opening near the base of the tail, or more out toward the middle of the tail?

Is there any concavity to the plastron?

Here is the care info:
Hi Tom-

The plastron is flat which is why it is confusing. The tail is long which is confusing. Take a look at the picture. Hard to tell!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom-

The plastron is flat which is why it is confusing. The tail is long which is confusing. Take a look at the picture. Hard to tell!
Plastron concavity tends to develop later.

I can't see the cloacal opening on your picture. Where on the tail is the opening?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi Tom-

Certainly looks like a male going by the tail size and shape.