Help me. (new baby desert tortoises)

PattyAlexis

Hi everyone. I'm new to this. I need help on the set up for my new babies.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

PattyAlexis

I should of started with an introduction. My name is patty. I live in Yuma AZ. And I recently been taking care of now a 2-3 month and 2 4-5 months. I been told different things about my torts. About what kind how to care and what not.

gg888

Location (City and/or State)
England
I should of started with an introduction. My name is patty. I live in Yuma AZ. And I recently been taking care of now a 2-3 month and 2 4-5 months. I been told different things about my torts. About what kind how to care and what not.
Welcome :) What sort of set up have you got at the minute? VERY cute babies by the way!

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
Hi welcome. And for care and an enclosure you should check out the sections for the species of tortoise you have. I can't tell what they are as babies in not experienced.

Agent007

Are those sulcatas? They looked similar to sulacatas. As far as I know(Since I own my tortoise since he was a baby) I do not suggest putting him/her in grassy areas for a long time or like overnight. Since other animals like cats might harm your torts. You might need to buy a tort home or smth like that, some UVB light and a night heater. You can add barks too(Optional) to decrease the risk of pyramiding.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Patty and welcome to the best site for up to date information about torts.
I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon to help ID your torts.
When that is done you will be able to find the correct caresheet to see what their
temps, humidity, substrate, diet etc should be.
Meanwhile have a look at the Enclosures section for ideas on what others do.

With 3 torts you are going to need a decent sized space so they have plenty of room.
I don't know what your climate is like but all torts need heat and uvb so you will probably need
a heat, light and uvb source - NOT coiled or long thin loop type cfl or red lamps
- possibly a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB - gives the 3 in one bulb)
A Ceramic heat Emitter (CHE) on a thermostat to keep temps warm and even at night.
With wide dome hoods for both to direct the heat downwards
But wait and see what they are then go with the recommendations of keepers who have the same species
and the caresheet.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Not sulcatas. They're one of the desert tortoise species (I can't tell the Gopherus sp. apart). There are thankfully a lot of great desert tortoise keepers here who are very knowledgeable. It's not a species I keep, but check out the North American Tortoise section.

There is no care sheet here for them, but care is very similar to Russians, so these will get you started:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patty, and welcome to the Forum!

You have a nice trio of desert tortoises. Since you're in Arizona, they're probably the Morafkai species. I keep mine indoors until they're about a year old, then they go out during the day (in a protected, small habitat) and back in the house at night.

If you set them up indoors, you'll need quite a bit of equipment to make sure they grow healthy. You'll need a good UVB light. One of either one of this kind:

Either this kind - mercury vapor bulb.jpg

or this kind - T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

Then, to keep them warm at night:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

This provides heat without light.

Also, set them up in a habitat with a moist substrate. Here's where my baby desert tortoises live:

baby desert tortoises 9-17-15 a.jpg

PattyAlexis

Wow. You are all amazing. So right now yes I do have them inside since they are very much still babies. I do let them outside to be in the sun and also I do have Bermuda grass and have seen that torts like that type. The two older ones are actually from the same mother since birth so they sleep together. My smaller one is the spoiled one. She has her own everything but in the same area as the other two. For their diet I have the pellets I got from my local feed store. It's a tortoise diet, I do lettuce 2-3 times a week, I only gave them fruit once (only because I know it's like candy for them) and I also got these tortoise bites full of nutrition (but it's instructed to give 3 times a week. And I have fresh water daily. The three of them have been getting alone. Which is amazing. Because I freaked myself out thinking they wouldn't. So a little about Yuma. It is hot! I mean hot! Lol think about the desert and thats us. Right now it is our winter so during the day it's 75-85 with a nice cold breeze and at night 50-60. I could be wrong sometimes it's colder. This last summer it was 115-120 during the day. And about 90-100 at night. So it's pretty crazy weather. I think the reason I'm confused is because of att the type of bulbs I need I freak myself out thinking I'll get a wrong one. As well as I read on someone's else comment, why can't they have calcium sand? So if I can get help on what you all may think I need for the bulbs and lighting and uv I have them (for now/I'm making a new one) the size is 38 19x19. Once again your are all amazing. And thank you so much!! My tort love this.

gg888

England
Wow. You are all amazing. So right now yes I do have them inside since they are very much still babies. I do let them outside to be in the sun and also I do have Bermuda grass and have seen that torts like that type. The two older ones are actually from the same mother since birth so they sleep together. My smaller one is the spoiled one. She has her own everything but in the same area as the other two. For their diet I have the pellets I got from my local feed store. It's a tortoise diet, I do lettuce 2-3 times a week, I only gave them fruit once (only because I know it's like candy for them) and I also got these tortoise bites full of nutrition (but it's instructed to give 3 times a week. And I have fresh water daily. The three of them have been getting alone. Which is amazing. Because I freaked myself out thinking they wouldn't. So a little about Yuma. It is hot! I mean hot! Lol think about the desert and thats us. Right now it is our winter so during the day it's 75-85 with a nice cold breeze and at night 50-60. I could be wrong sometimes it's colder. This last summer it was 115-120 during the day. And about 90-100 at night. So it's pretty crazy weather. I think the reason I'm confused is because of att the type of bulbs I need I freak myself out thinking I'll get a wrong one. As well as I read on someone's else comment, why can't they have calcium sand? So if I can get help on what you all may think I need for the bulbs and lighting and uv I have them (for now/I'm making a new one) the size is 38 19x19. Once again your are all amazing. And thank you so much!! My tort love this.
Sand can cause major problems if they eat it, also it can irritate their eyes and skin. I also find it sticks to their food when they trample it, and can get very messy! Since I changed to orchid bark it's been much better. It's also easier to keep the humidity up with orchid bark :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone. I'm new to this. I need help on the set up for my new babies.

View attachment 154913

Highly territorial, so do plan in the future, near future, that three individual enclosures mayl likely be needed to assure the health of each of the tortoise...these little guys are so cute to the eye, but those same adorable little babies can become gladiators with one another....not trying to worry you here, just sharing that it is a huge way they are designed and absolutely nothing personal on their part...

I agree with Yvonne on her information, the only thing I would mention is that I would only add moisture to a part of the enclosure and not the entire enclosure...they do need some space to get to plain old fashion dry dirt...it is essential to the health of their body inside and out...constantly wet for this species can prove undesirable...but they do need access to some humidity so this is why "I" would only add water/moisture to part of the enclosure...the warmest part of the enclosure would be my choice and I only would do this if you plan on keeping that moist/humid area warm day and night...cool and moist/wet can be a bad mix....

Adorable little monkeys.....I would watch out for that rowdy one on the left especially....:p

PattyAlexis

Oh nice. That why I wanted to ask tort owners from experience. I was told to use calcium sand because it wouldn't be bad if they ate some. But I will definitely change that out now. But still need help with lighting

PattyAlexis

Highly territorial, so do plan in the future, near future, that three individual enclosures mayl likely be needed to assure the health of each of the tortoise...these little guys are so cute to the eye, but those same adorable little babies can become gladiators with one another....not trying to worry you here, just sharing that it is a huge way they are designed and absolutely nothing personal on their part...

I agree with Yvonne on her information, the only thing I would mention is that I would only add moisture to a part of the enclosure and not the entire enclosure...they do need some space to get to plain old fashion dry dirt...it is essential to the health of their body inside and out...constantly wet for this species can prove undesirable...but they do need access to some humidity so this is why "I" would only add water/moisture to part of the enclosure...the warmest part of the enclosure would be my choice and I only would do this if you plan on keeping that moist/humid area warm day and night...cool and moist/wet can be a bad mix....

Adorable little monkeys.....I would watch out for that rowdy one on the left especially....:p
So would you leave sand in there? I was also told to try and copy their wildlife environment

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh nice. That why I wanted to ask tort owners from experience. I was told to use calcium sand because it wouldn't be bad if they ate some. But I will definitely change that out now. But still need help with lighting

The lighting suggestions that Yvonne posted are good....there is the Mercury Vapor Bulb which is kinda a all in one heat/uv source, the only draw back on that being your only source is that at night when you shut it down you will lose your heat unless you also supply a night heat source...the individual long tube uv bulb in duet with a heat source works well because you can separate the two for individual use instead of an all in one....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Patty. Lovely lithe babies you have there.

Be aware that most of what it written on the internet and in books for these guy is old, outdated and incorrect. The number one killer of baby DTs is dehydration. Keeping them outside all day long in a dry climate like yours or mine in NOT good for them, but that is what most websites will recommend. They also usually recommend dry substrate and once a week soaks. All these things combined add up to a dead baby due to dehydration.

I typed this up for Russian tortoises, but care for DTs is identical. I've raised dozens of DT babies this way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

This one might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And finally, this one was typed up for feeding sulcatas, but the diet is similar for DTs. Just use a lot less emphasis on grass for DTs.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You should be soaking these little babies every day for the first 6 months or so. Use an opaque, tall-sided tub with warm water about half way up their shells for about 20-30 minutes. I would soak each one in its own tub, and do it somewhere warm so the water doesn't cool too much during the course of the soak. Be prepared for them to poop in the soaking tub, so you might need to refresh the water a time or two. Don't worry about it if they try to climb out. Its good exercise. After 6 months you can start to taper it off to every other day or so. Eventually for adults once or twice a week should be sufficient. More won't hurt anything though. I tend to soak a lot more in summer due to the heat and dryness.

Definitely do not use sand as a substrate.

Please come back with lots of questions, and we always love more pics of little baby tortugas.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So would you leave sand in there? I was also told to try and copy their wildlife environment

No, I would never purposely use sand as a substrate, especially in a confined indoor enclosure...to me, there is no good use for sand as the substrate...(can you tell I do not like sand in a reptile enclosure :D).

Now, in all fairness --there are some folks that mix sand to dirt ratio and have no problem...I am simply stating that, because it is true...being true however, in my opinion, does not mean I would do it....I also would suggest against it to someone who is still new to hosting tortoise...there is an instinctual thing that occurs over time with the human in the care of tortoise...so it is okay to work your way there and in the mean time provide a safe and healthy set up for the tort on that path with you...so basics are so important...(warmth, safe place to rest, ample space/opportunity for exercise, uva/uvb ray exposure, food, hydration and the opportunity for some alone time for a very private creature)...now where you live, your daily life responsibilities and such will determine how you best achieve those points and with what equipment and space....