Help meat or no meat?!

jennam1767

Okay I rescued a red footed tortoise few days ago and I'm getting loads of conflicting advice from per stores!

What do I feed him? I've been told chicken, prawns, liver and beef heart once a month for protein?

And another place said ill do him harm feeding him meat and end up at vets with him? Really really confused!

Also I bought a sand/grit mixture which is ment to be for tortoises and I don't think my boy likes it! It's sticking to him everywhere and ends up all over his fruit?

Any advice gratefully received :)

jennanne

For red foots you need to get a different mixture. They need dirt and even a little moss. Coconut coir works and spagham moss is best. Protein is excellent for red foots every two to four weeks. I feed mine wax worms and hard boiled eggs, alternating every few weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The first thing you need to learn is: Don't take advice from a pet store.
The second thing you need to learn is: Be really careful which "reptile" vet you take advice from.

The majority of both of the above are atrocious. When you find a good one of either, cherish them and treat them right.

We have many good RF keepers here on this forum, with the results to back up their claims.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A lot of folks feed chicken, I myself do serve them some cooked plain chicken every so often. I also do sometimes use thawed mice and rats (size depending on animal). Bugs, worms, snails, fish, shrimp are other more common things I feed mine. Just like with the greens and fruits I mix up what I feed and how often.

jennam1767

See this is what I thought! Was gonna buy a bag of frozen prawns and give him a couple one day 2 weeks later an egg 2 weeks later a couple prawns again! So is that okay? Won't hurt him at all?

Thanks for your advice :D

jennanne said:
For red foots you need to get a different mixture. They need dirt and even a little moss. Coconut coir works and spagham moss is best. Protein is excellent for red foots every two to four weeks. I feed mine wax worms and hard boiled eggs, alternating every few weeks.

I was also told to spagham moss as he would eat it and make him ill! I'm just trying to do what's best and getting confused lol

With the sand on his food is that okay? Will it not block his digestive system?

jennanne

My tortoise doesn't eat her spagham moss ;) I put it around her water dish so dirt doesn't get dragged into it (too often anyway)

jennam1767

Aww now there's an idea! I might go to another pet store and get it :) I bought the tortoise terrain from a pet store(see pic please) it has sand in it would you remove? ThanksImageUploadedByTortForum1389336540.287976.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jennam1767

jennanne said:
My tortoise doesn't eat her spagham moss ;) I put it around her water dish so dirt doesn't get dragged into it (too often anyway)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389357910.224297.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389357924.578080.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389357942.399481.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389357955.407637.jpg

Better? Also used coil and he's getting on much much better! :D

jennanne

I would definitely remove the sand, and it looks waaaaay better :)) awesome job!!!!

jennam1767

jennanne said:
I would definitely remove the sand, and it looks waaaaay better :)) awesome job!!!!

Thanks Hun just need to get something to check humidity as seemingly there better in enclosed tanks for that? Don't know tho I think it looks great as is? I spray him everytime I'm within distance lol so don't know how wet he should be

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Some sand is fine, just use low amounts and mix it in well. Make sure your animal is well hydrated (as it should be any how). Small flat rocks around the water dish will work well for keeping the water cleaner. Make sure the moss is long strand, not the fine cut up stuff. You are feeding on a dish, flat rock or tile right? The spreading out the bag of prawns for feeding over months is fine.

jennam1767

Jacqui said:
Some sand is fine, just use low amounts and mix it in well. Make sure your animal is well hydrated (as it should be any how). Small flat rocks around the water dish will work well for keeping the water cleaner. Make sure the moss is long strand, not the fine cut up stuff. You are feeding on a dish, flat rock or tile right? The spreading out the bag of prawns for feeding over months is fine.

Hi thanks for reply I got him tortise stuff from pets at home that had sand and top soil in it but it wasn't working out so he now has coconut coil on top of it so it doesn't stick as much, and then sphagnum moss around his water bowl and in his hide, yes he has a food bowl but he seems to pull all his food out if it in to the dirt or climb on top and getting it messy! I clean the water in his table 3/4 times a day and he seems hydrated to me but I'm new to this so wouldn't know the difference is there a way in telling thanks :D
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389384047.386911.jpg