HELP! my baby is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
I have had him for about 3 weeks he is about 4months old and I have been struggling with his eating the whole time but for about a week he has refused all food and for the last 3-5 days he will not open his eyes at all I have a 160w exo terra heat lamp 75-80 cool side and 85-95 hot side I keep his substrate moist and have a powder mutivitamin that I put on his food that he's not eating. I'm going to take him to the vet asap but I need to know what to do in the meantime

I also soak him every other day and recently have tried putting multivitamin in the water I soak him in

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This complaint USUALLY is because the baby isn't being kept warm enough, but your temps sound ok to me.

Some tortoises have a real dislike for supplements on their food. Try only supplementing two times a week with the vitamins. Also, you should be soaking every day. So tomorrow morning, put him in his soaking water, then while he's soaking fix his food and place it at the feeding station. Then when the soak is finished, put him in front of the food.

Plus, your high wattage light seems too big to me for a baby. I only use 100 watts.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are doing the right things, except that o would soak him 2-3 times a day until he either eats or you see the vet. Do u have one of those coil bulbs or a compact florescent bulb? I need your response asap.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I'm using an exo terra solar glo uva uvb florescent bulb

Btw I feed him 3 different types of grasses daisys and hybiscuss I have also fed him romain a few times because that really all he wil eat

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I looked online and I'm wondering if the bulb you are using looks like a spotlight type of bulb, or is it the coil compact florescent type? The reason I ask is because the coil or compact florescent types have been responsible for causing blindness in baby torts. Now, if the uvb bulb is a mercury vapor type, then your baby may be suffering from lack of humidity in the enclosure. Can u send pics of your baby and the enclosure? Also, your temps are too cold for a baby. Hot spot should be 100-105, cool side 85-90
The bulb is a bit too strong for a baby. Are you sure your temps are correct? Do you have a temp gun?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
good! Well, are u checking temps with a temp gun, and are they correct? The only other thing is that your baby is too dry. Her hide and enclosure should have humidity of about 80%. Does she have that?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I don't have the ability to upload pictures right now and I don't have a temp gun but I do have gauges on bothe sides of the tank I also keep the bulb higher above the tank so its not to strong

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Its your bulb. Get a better quality MVB like Zoomed or Mega Ray. The reason your tortoise wont eat is because he isnt getting enough UVB to stimulate his metabolism.
It could also be that its getting too much UV? What type of exo terra are you using? The pro series 160watt needs to be 4ft away from the substrate?

Oh and post a picture of your setup.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I have the coconut husk substrate and his humidity is around 70 to 75 I will try to increase the humidity also I do soak every other day and on the days I don't soak him I put him in his water dish and sometimes he sits for a minute or to

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
ok, this is what you need. U need a temp gun so that u get accurate readings of her hide, cool side, hot spot, basking side. Then u need to get a reading of her humidity in the enclosure. If you have a tort table, you'll need to use foil or fireproofing material to cover the top and hold whatever humidity you can provide. A fogger or humidifier would give u the desired levels so that she can be healthy. In other words, tell or describe everything about her enclosure that u can since we can't get pics yet. Ok?

Do u live in an area where the outside temps get to above 75 degrees? Because if u do, and the sun is out, it would be the best thing for him. Nothing can beat the good old sun! If not, then the bulb is fine provided it's within the limits of spacing required to get max benefit of the uvb. (10.0 or 5.0?) one last thing, increase soaks to 2-3 with baby food until he starts eating again.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
How far is your bulb from the substrate?
Because...

exo-terra-bulb-info2_zps170e6649.jpg

What are you using for an enclosure? A terrarium, a rubber made tub? How big is it?

Your problem might be two-fold. By raising the lamp high enough to keep the temperature at the right level the animal might not be getting the right amount of UV.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
My lamp is a 160w
And about 15in from substrate

Sibi- I will get a temp gun asap and do u no if there is a 2in1 temp humidity gun I could?
I live in cali so its not warm enuf right now
I have him in a terrarium with a screen lid coconut substrate small water dish with water about as deep as his bottom shell and a small food dish both set in the substrate so eveything is level
I read that terrariums r not the best because of the glass sides but I also read that they help keep in the humidity. I am in an appartment rite now and will b moving in the next 3 months and plan to get a better encloser then.
What else do u need to no?
Also thank you for helping so much sibi ur very nice and I appreciate it

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Ok there isn't a 2-1 gun that will register humidity and temp, but there is a digital gauge that can register both in the enclosure. The reason for the gun is so that u can know what the highs and lows are within the enclosure. The gauge will only give you the ambient temp, and the temps for the hide and basking area have to be different. Also, put a pint of water directly into the middle of the substrate and cover the screen top 3/4 the way. This will hold the humidity in as well as the heat. Just male sure it's not too hot for your tort. Keep me posted.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
So I've been soaking him 3 tyms a day and hav carrot mash (I cooked and massed it up) in his soaking water. He is still no eating or pooping. I have only seen one poop since I got him. Idk how to force feed but I can't get him to a vet till Thursday. I messured all his temps. Hot/basking is at 95 hot side is 85-90 cool side is 80 and he is at 75 at night I can't see any weight loss but I no he hasn't ate. Also his bottow shell got squishyer
What can I do?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Your temps are not warm enough Sulcatas basking spot should be 105 WARM, 90-95 COOL, 80. below my signature are threads on heating, humidity, and raising your sulcata. When taking your baby to the vet. I wouls suggest a herp vet. Be careful the vet will want to give vitamin A injection. This is very dangerous...

mainey34 said:
Your temps are not warm enough Sulcatas basking spot should be 105 WARM, 90-95 COOL, 80. below my signature are threads on heating, humidity, and raising your sulcata. When taking your baby to the vet. I wouls suggest a herp vet. Be careful the vet will want to give vitamin A injection. This is very dangerous...

Try feeding spring mix or santa barbara at the grocery store. He needs greens. I know you have been trying the babyfood soakes...

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I am going to take them to a herp vet I worked at a regular vet and I no that they don't know enough to treat reptiles correctly. Also i have done a lot of research and my temps seem to be the norm I no that they are dessert animals but from what I have read and been told by others on this site my temps are good (please know that I am not trying to disscredit you I have been told a lot of different things so I kinda just went with what people told me the most) my hot spot does get to 100 though

Oh I have a question about the vitamin A shot I know it is dangerous but I don't know why. So I guess my question is why is it bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.