Help. (need help with diet)

Iammargi

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
Hi everyone,
I have 2 greek tortoise, not sure how old are they. I have them about 6 month. All they eat is just romanian lettuce. Is that normal? I tried to give them different herbs, vegetables, fruites but they dont eat anything but just lettuce. I give them vitamins so they can get some extra nutrition, but I am very surprised that they dont eat anything else.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises can be very picky. They know what they like and they like what they know. To introduce a new food you have to take it very slowly. Your torts are behaving like a child that only wants to eat chips and chocolate - you're the parent in charge!

Here's a step by step guide:

1. Chop the foods your tort will eat very small and wet them

2. Chop a tiny amount of new food very small and mix it with the rest. The water will stick it together so the new stuff cannot be picked out.

3. If your tort eats everything, at the next feed increase the amount of new food very slightly and decrease the liked food by the same amount.

4. If your tort refuses to eat then leave the food in place for 24 hours and then replace with fresh in exactly the same proportions.

Very gradually, over weeks not days, your tort will start accepting the new food as normal. Take it slowly and don't try to hurry it. A hungry tort will give in and eat.

Your tort can go a long time without food, but not water. A thirty minute soak is essential on days when there is a hunger strike.

Have you read the TFO care guides for Greeks? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Greek Tortoise care guide
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

If you post pictures of tortoises and their enclosures and lighting we will be happy to look them over and recommend and improvements that might help.

Bren_Lowe

Texas City, TX
No, I don't believe that is; some tortoises will have preferences, but they should be eating a lot more than that. Any dark, leafy greens are typically eaten, and there are some dehydrated pellets you can buy that are great for nutrition. Lettuce is mostly water, so while it is a decent filler and good for hydration, it won't supply them with the nutrition they need. If you continue to give a variety of foods and they still refuse, I would consider seeing a vet. However, try to give them greens for several days. If they don't eat something you put in there, don't stop giving it to them. Provide them with the same thing several days in a row, and they should eat it, of it is a picky thing. Honestly, I've never heard of a tortoise only eating lettuce, very odd indeed. Also, how long have they been eating only lettuce? is this new or have they always been behaving like this? Here's a good website with some pretty good info on Greek's diet: https://www.thesprucepets.com/greek-tortoises-and-spur-thighed-tortoises-1239534

Iammargi

Dubai
No, I don't believe that is; some tortoises will have preferences, but they should be eating a lot more than that. Any dark, leafy greens are typically eaten, and there are some dehydrated pellets you can buy that are great for nutrition. Lettuce is mostly water, so while it is a decent filler and good for hydration, it won't supply them with the nutrition they need. If you continue to give a variety of foods and they still refuse, I would consider seeing a vet. However, try to give them greens for several days. If they don't eat something you put in there, don't stop giving it to them. Provide them with the same thing several days in a row, and they should eat it, of it is a picky thing. Honestly, I've never heard of a tortoise only eating lettuce, very odd indeed. Also, how long have they been eating only lettuce? is this new or have they always been behaving like this? Here's a good website with some pretty good info on Greek's diet: https://www.thesprucepets.com/greek-tortoises-and-spur-thighed-tortoises-1239534

Thank you for your reply.
All 6-7 month they just eat lettuce. This is what they give them in pet shops. I will try to push more for other food. I am living in middle east and here not much food or leaves I can get from nature because its too hot and not much things are growing.

Iammargi

Dubai
Tortoises can be very picky. They know what they like and they like what they know. To introduce a new food you have to take it very slowly. Your torts are behaving like a child that only wants to eat chips and chocolate - you're the parent in charge!

Here's a step by step guide:

1. Chop the foods your tort will eat very small and wet them

2. Chop a tiny amount of new food very small and mix it with the rest. The water will stick it together so the new stuff cannot be picked out.

3. If your tort eats everything, at the next feed increase the amount of new food very slightly and decrease the liked food by the same amount.

4. If your tort refuses to eat then leave the food in place for 24 hours and then replace with fresh in exactly the same proportions.

Very gradually, over weeks not days, your tort will start accepting the new food as normal. Take it slowly and don't try to hurry it. A hungry tort will give in and eat.

Your tort can go a long time without food, but not water. A thirty minute soak is essential on days when there is a hunger strike.

Have you read the TFO care guides for Greeks? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Greek Tortoise care guide
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

If you post pictures of tortoises and their enclosures and lighting we will be happy to look them over and recommend and improvements that might help.

Thank you for the information and reply
I will try more push other food, because all this time since I have them they just eat lettuce