Help on introducing turtles?

BowserTurt

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Recently a small yellow-bellied slider caught my eye at Petco.
I have full-grown one currently that is very (maybe a little too) friendly, we hand-feed her, and she likes to be out of her water and around us. But I'm not sure how she would do with a turtle 10x smaller...
will she think it's food? is it too small? should I raise it in a separate habitat?
it worries me cause I really do want the turtle, it was ~accidentaly~ put in with a batch of red-ear sliders and nobody wanted it :(

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Turtles don’t do well in pairs, and you should never put two turtles of different sizes together. I would either not get the turtle, or house them separately.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
If that’s a Yellow ear marked same price as RES , go get it . Full grown yellow ear is more herbivores than RES , thus the risk is lower .
The small one will probably just use the bigger one as a mobile basking rock.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Get it but hose them seperately. Personally, I had mutiple sizes and never an issue. Put them together when it get to be 4in.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I currently house in excess of 40 RES in our outdoor ponds. They sun on the available rocks and sand bars together, often one climbing on top of one another, just like they do in the wild. Silver dollar size babies sun along wit tha adults. I've noticed no signs of aggression other than among males vieing for the attention of a female. As there is aboundant escape room, there is no harm and no foul. I do not house dissimilar spiecies in the same ponds. We have six large ponds in our resort, housing RES, painted turtles and a couple of cooters. We enjoy having them on the property and many of our residents enjoy not only watching them, but also providing some extra feedings. I would be very cautious in introducing turtles of dissimilar size in a limited environment size.