HELP PLEASE! (parasites)

syd0.0

Location (City and/or State)
California
My tortoise has thousands of these worm parasites in its poop. I've never seen them before but there are so many! Is it possible that humans and cats can get these?! I'm so scared for my tortoise if anyone has a guess please help. I've contacted the vet but thought I'd ask here before I spend so much money. Snapchat-403773069.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY
My tortoise has thousands of these worm parasites in its poop. I've never seen them before but there are so many! Is it possible that humans and cats can get these?! I'm so scared for my tortoise if anyone has a guess please help. I've contacted the vet but thought I'd ask here before I spend so much money. View attachment 301269
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those would be pin worms. Unfortunately, that is an extremely high load, and you will need vet help to take action. You should take that pic, the tortoise, and a stool sample in and the vet will help you with the proper dose of the correct meds.

I would politely decline any "vitamin shots" or antibiotics in the event that the vet offers. Most vets don't know much about tortoises care, but they should all know which medicine and how much of it to treat a parasitic worm infestation. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school, but they certainly spend time on meds and proper dosage in school.

syd0.0

California
Those would be pin worms. Unfortunately, that is an extremely high load, and you will need vet help to take action. You should take that pic, the tortoise, and a stool sample in and the vet will help you with the proper dose of the correct meds.

I would politely decline any "vitamin shots" or antibiotics in the event that the vet offers. Most vets don't know much about tortoises care, but they should all know which medicine and how much of it to treat a parasitic worm infestation. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school, but they certainly spend time on meds and proper dosage in school.
Thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much!
You are welcome.

Pin worm infestation is common, and usually not a big deal. Pin worm eggs are light enough to be carried on a light breeze, so we often don't even know where they came from.

I thought I should add this so that you or someone reading isn't alarmed. These are easily treatable and will have no lasting effect.