Help!!! (Poisoning???)

Jenna nico

So my baby leopard tortoise just started acting weird - and after thinking of what could be the problem my boyfriend thinks that maybe the hibiscious we got him was treated with pesticides?!

If this is the case, what do we do!?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
What is he doing? How long ago was the pesticide sprayed?

Jenna nico

Okay, so it took about 3 days for Simba to warm up to his new enclosure. Before that, he mainly stayed in his hide only coming out to eat.

But for the past 2 and a half weeks, he's been super active, very aggressive with waging his food (aka going at it!!), eating so much, bright eyes..

So last weekend we bought him a hibiscious plant because we saw that many tortoises love them. And he did. He would tear the flower right up!

However, the past 3 days he's been noticeable sluggish, doesn't even go in his hide to sleep anymore, and yesterday kept his eyes closed during his entire soak

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
So am sure other members will be asking for the following.....size and photos of enclosure; what type of substrate; temperatures and humidity levels of enclosure. Type of light and heating. List of diet items. What are his stools and urine looking like? Urates smooth and creamy; or grainy? How much time is it spending outside? Did you give flower right after you purchased it; or was it allowed new growth first? Any problems with these factors can lead to sluggish behavior; which is a sign the animal is ill. Do you have a good reptile vet in your area.....they will ask you the same questions as above. The more information you have the better suggestions you will get. Good luck and keep us posted.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It's more likely that you have a problem with temps and humidity levels but stop that food until you discover the problem.

Not only did we need all the info listed above we also need to know devices you're using to monitor your equipment. Timers, thermostats, or guns and gauges.

Get us lots of pics

Jenna nico

I have a vet appointment tonight at 6, I will keep you all updated. I found a known exotic pet and reptile vet in the area. Wish me luck!

He stays at my boyfriend's house because he has all the equipment to monitor/make sure the temps are good, etc. So he'd be able to answer these questions better than me - I'll get all the info when we go to the vet im sure. I just know we strive to keep his temps between 85-98 day time, 76-88 night time. It's a mostly closed enclosure. We have the UV light on for 12 hours. Soak for 25 minutes a day. Coconut and stone substrate. Two hides with moss for humidity. We spray the enclosure often for added humidity

Souptugo

5 Year Member
When you get a chance could you post a photos of the enclosure? Not sure what coconut and stone substrate mean. I'm assuming coconut coir. I'm wondering if he is impacted from swallowing something. Where did you get the hibiscus flower?

Jenna nico

Currently at the vet. He gave him a vitamin A shot and is providing me with antibiotics to treat a possible RI. (His eyes being closed, sluggish, etc) in your opinion, should I start the antibiotics?!

(About a 2 month old leopard tortoise)

Greta16

Western Maine
I don't know about that. I'm a new mommy too. I'll let the experts chime in. Does he seem like he has a cold? You didn't really mention that in the first post. I wish him or her all the best. And hope you're stressing a little less.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
2 things

1. Id find a new vet. Vitamin A is the very old school way to treat a tort and since it's a fat soluble vitamin it's very easy (and very common) to give the tort too much and cause it to OD.

2. Like I mentioned before swelling eyes is the first step of an RI and it's from being too cold and too wet. You need to look at your equipment. If you're using the correct bulbs and substaight then we need to see what equipment you're Susie to monitor the lights and heat. Do you have digital gauges and a thermostat? What about an infrared gun to spot check temps?

I'd bet money your temps are cooler than you suspect causing the ri.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
First things first. Get your temps up to 85, day and night. A sick tort needs warmth.

Also do daily soaks in warm water with baby food mixed in. Carrots or squash... something with vitamin A. Small doses of vitamin A are good. Large doses injected into the tort are bad for them. I sure hope the vet gave him a super tiny dose.

Jenna nico

He said he gave him very very little and it was oral, because he said it's very easy to OD tortoise with vitamin A.

We use a infrared/heat gun to check the temps and it's always 85-96 during the day. I also posted the screen shot of what we use in the enclosure (the conversation with my boyfriend) the vet said it sounds like I'm doing everything right!?

The antibiotics he said to give the smallest amount possible with still giving some.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
This is going to sound harsh and like I'm just being a jerk but I promise that's not the case, just trying to help.

If you were doing everything right your tort wouldn't have a RI.

I had one die from it so I'm just trying to have you learn from my mistakes.

95% of the time the RI is because your cold and damp.

Where does the tort sleep most of the time? I'm a hide? Burrowed? Out in the open in a corner of the enclosure? Use that IR gun to check the night temps in the middle of the night, right where it sleeps. It's probably colder than what you think.

Jenna nico

This is going to sound harsh and like I'm just being a jerk but I promise that's not the case, just trying to help.

If you were doing everything right your tort wouldn't have a RI.

I had one die from it so I'm just trying to have you learn from my mistakes.

95% of the time the RI is because your cold and damp.

Where does the tort sleep most of the time? I'm a hide? Burrowed? Out in the open in a corner of the enclosure? Use that IR gun to check the night temps in the middle of the night, right where it sleeps. It's probably colder than what you think.

He sleeps in his hide! When we check the temps at night around his hide it's about 86 degrees.

Stupid question probably, but wouldn't the humidity cause dampness?