HELP pond invaders need advice

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
noticed these worms a week ago and started researching. Not anchor worms or some other common fish worm, at least that I can find. I think Planaria....what do you thnk? I have purchased enough Fenbendazole for 500 gallons of treatment. I don't want to nuke my snails and other small creatures in the filter. Need help these have exploded in the last week and need IMMEDIATE remedy. I read that you can remove these worms immediately wth a cotton ball soaked in the Fenbendazole.
This is the one of the creatures in the filter...... anyone know what it is? These pictures show the worms on the catfish. Have not found any on the turtles or other fish. Look forward to some answers and relief for my catfish.

Attachments

• catfish worms 1.jpg
    catfish worms 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • catfish worms 2.jpg
    catfish worms 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • catfish worms 3.jpg
    catfish worms 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • catfish worms 4.jpg
    catfish worms 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • catfish worms 5.jpg
    catfish worms 5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

zovick

10 Year Member!
noticed these worms a week ago and started researching. Not anchor worms or some other common fish worm, at least that I can find. I think Planaria....what do you thnk? I have purchased enough Fenbendazole for 500 gallons of treatment. I don't want to nuke my snails and other small creatures in the filter. Need help these have exploded in the last week and need IMMEDIATE remedy. I read that you can remove these worms immediately wth a cotton ball soaked in the Fenbendazole.
This is the one of the creatures in the filter...... anyone know what it is? These pictures show the worms on the catfish. Have not found any on the turtles or other fish. Look forward to some answers and relief for my catfish.
Those things on your catfish look like leeches to me. Planaria are free-living and non-parasitic flatworms. Those planaria I have seen were very tiny and didn't move the way that those little organisms in your video seem to move.

We used to kill leeches by putting salt on them. Obviously collecting them from your pond to do that would be quite labor-intensive. Not sure about what fenbendazole would do to leeches, but it should kill worms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get some bluegill or crappy in there. They eat the leeches.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The creatures in the video look like dragon fly nymphs

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Ding Ding Ding ......I think we have a winner. I do believe that the video creatures are Dragon fly nymphs. If you haven't been able to see a dragon fly hatch, you're missing quite the sight. My kids for years have gone out to the pond before school to watch the Dragon flies take flight. An absolutely beautiful sight to see.
As for the creatures on the catfish, leeches. What the @*!^ never even suspected leeches. And how did they get in my pond. Well just researched em, pesky boogers. Didn't know they were such a thing in CA. Thought they were more of a swamp state creature. Thank you Tom. Love your signature by the way.
So today will be the start of Leech Removal. As well today will start to look for crappie or blue gill as well. Kept these out of the pond because they are Eaters, they will eat my smaller Shubunkin. I have to get rid of these, my poor catfish

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thank you Tom.......Just got off the phone with ThePondGuy.com. Salt bath is the preferred method for these parasites. We put pond salt in our pond already, but not high enough levels. We will increase salt levels permanently to help control parasites. But first is a salt bath today for all fish and turtles. Anyone know what safe levels of salt are for water turtles? All turtles will get a VERY close inspection today. Thank you so much all for the answers.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So for an update.... They are indeed leeches, and likely "snail leeches". Our snails started diapering a few weeks ago. So much so we are waiting for a lab test on our well water. Nothing found on any thing other than the catfish. We have started a 300 gallon agricultural rubbermaid hospital tank, next to pond. We have put 2 cups pond salt to 100 gallons of water. This as a salt bath for 15 min. periods. Still hoping for a non "nuke" method, like increasing salt levels. But now need to buy a VERY accurate salinity meter to ensure to ill effects to the turtles. It's been frustrating to try and remove these things (not physically). Just another obstacle in my hobby/lifestyle.

Attachments

• IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4