Help Russian tortoise sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBaxter

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise is vomiting and stretching her neck and head out making a screaming noise. She not acting right not eating and not very active at all. She is kept outside in a 8ftx12ft pen but I just brought her in to quarantine her in the terrarium.

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
What is does her diet consist of? What was the temps yesterday, during the night, today? Is there anything that your tort could have eaten outside? What is the substrate outside?

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

KBaxter

5 Year Member
Temps have been in upper 50s at night and upper 70s lower 80s during the day. She eats weeds dandelions Kyle. Nothing in her pen growing should be harmful for her to eat.

Substrate is grass dirt cypress mulch and timothy hay

This is the pen

Attachments

• 1367360486619.jpg
    1367360486619.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 64

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
RE: Help my Russian tortoise is vomiting

Can you get your tortoise to a vet? Perhaps he/she ingested something? I'm sorry, that sounds really scary :( I hope someone here can help you!

KBaxter

5 Year Member
Re: Help my Russian tortoise is vomiting

Gonna try to call one place tomorrow. I live in the Macon ga area and there is only 1 place that might do reptiles. Not sure if the doctor that treats them is still there are not.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How often do you soak your tort? What size is your tort? Strictly from what you describe....the first thing that came to mind is she may be stopped up/impacted???? I would offer long warm water soaks, I would also put her indoor enclosure at no less than 85 degrees and I would also promote motion (so when you are offering up the warm water soaks I would perhaps try to encourage her to move about so if you offer a long soak the tort may eventually try to get out of the container by walking about alot....let her do this and be sure to keep the water warm the entire soak....I also would try to get some mineral oil in her...to help lubricate her internally---she may have ingested some of the substrate....

I would make certain that any vet you take your tort to is EXPERIENCED in tortoise and not just a regular animal vet..

KBaxter

5 Year Member
She is still doing the same thing I have her soaking now and have given her mineral oil. I believe that she is stopped up. She has not peed or popped in the water since I have been soaking her for the past 3 days. There are no Vets in this week that deal with tortoises. I really think she is stopped up. I have seen her in the past trying to swallow rocks. I tried to remove all the small rocks from her pen but knowing her she found 1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you seen this list of vets in Georgia? I don't know if any of these cities are near Macon:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-29676.html

Try to get an eye dropper full of mineral oil down her throat. You can also squirt an eye dropper full up her cloaca.

Mineral oil is non-absorptive, so this is the only type of oil you should use. It lubricates and isn't absorbed by the tortoise.

KBaxter

5 Year Member
Thanks for the list but none of the are close. I have given her mineral oil thru a dropper. I just hope she geta better.

KBaxter

5 Year Member
This is her today she is very weak and not eating. It seems she is trying to push but is stopped up. I fear she will not make it.

Attachments

• 1367526526308.jpg
    1367526526308.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Oh no! Im so sorry you both are going through this... how terrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.