help, shell problem

NattieB714

5 Year Member
Yellow foot female, unknown age. Fed regularly, water source, vitamins, lighting, space, etc. is all good.....what's going on with her shell? Any and all thoughts please.

Attachments

• 20131229_155027.jpg
    20131229_155027.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 79

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Whats your humidity level at? Can you tell me a little about the enclosure... substrate... lighting and temps....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like the light is too close to the top of the shell and the shell is getting burned and dried out. Of course, this is only a guess, as one would have to see it in person to be able to offer a better 'guess.'

NattieB714

5 Year Member
Jlant85 said:
Whats your humidity level at? Can you tell me a little about the enclosure... substrate... lighting and temps....

Currently, they are living in a spare bedroom while an enclosure is being built. It's carpet which isn't the best but I have towels for them to crawl on for the time being. They have fake plants in the spare bedroom they like to burrow in. They have uv light and heat lamps during the day and a red lamp at night. Space heater keeps temps about 75- 80 at the most.

Yvonne G said:
It looks like the light is too close to the top of the shell and the shell is getting burned and dried out. Of course, this is only a guess, as one would have to see it in person to be able to offer a better 'guess.'

Wow, that could make sense. I will raise the lights and see if that helps. If the issue continues, I am going to being her to the vet. Thank you for your help.

NattieB714

5 Year Member
Richsandwich said:
You leave them on your floor and not in some sort of enclosure?

Yes, it was either that or confine them to an enclosure that was not big enough for them to have enough room to roam. I've heard plenty of stories of happy free roaming tort's.