Help these sulcata's.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hello everyone, a few months ago we were in the Keys. Came across this place called Aquarium Encounters. We stopped in to see what it was all about. To my surprise they had 5 sulcata's there. Talked with one of the workers there and found out they were all recuses from one person. The enclosures are not much to be desired.
After a few emails to the contact address telling them the care the sullies were getting is not proper. They have asked for ideas to make it better.
I figured I would show you all the limited pictures I have and hopefully some members will give me some advice.
20190713_112418.jpg
20190713_112345.jpg 20190713_112526.jpg
I know space will be a issue. But it seems a better substrate and their hides don't look sufficient.
I have made it a mission of mine to help these torts out. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ray

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well the most glaring thing that pops out at me probably can't be remedied - nothing for a grazing animal to graze on.

Maybe they could put a very large plant on a pot on that stump.

Actually, far as zoos go, these areas don't look too bad at all. Are they ideal, no, but they're really not all that bad either.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks Yvonne, I was thinking some tall grasses and maybe some fold down flaps on the hides so they would have total darkness at night. Then during the day they could open them up. So the visitors could see them. Maybe some kind of sprinkler system just to moisten things up now and then.