Sulcata's and there grass??

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
Ok we are letting are 2 Sulcata's graze outside all day now and they really dont eat the grass. Maybe for 3min or so they just walk around. I see on the fourm that ppl cant keep grass in there yard because thats all they want to do is eat it. I really wish mine did so i wouldent have to mow or weedwhip inside there pen lol. There 11inch and 9inch is it because there a little smaller bigger they get more grass they eat?

thank u

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if its growing and green, they should be eating it. the babies tend not to like dry hay.
are you feeding them other stuff while they are out?
If this is thier first time out on real grass, they may not know its food!

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Hmmm no i just feed them greens and what not inside on somedays some days I dont feed them at all I want them to eat grass. Yes its long and green both of them were in poor health b4 i got them so maybe just because there not used to the outside and the grass? At the end of Aug I hope I can tell u that i dont have to mow anymore lol

matt581 said:
Hmmm no i just feed them greens and what not inside on somedays some days I dont feed them at all I want them to eat grass. Yes its long and green both of them were in poor health b4 i got them so maybe just because there not used to the outside and the grass? At the end of Aug I hope I can tell u that i dont have to mow anymore lol

And nope just put them outside with no other food but the grass so I thought they would eat up. Or should I put there food / greens tortoise diet outside also?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they have enough other food, they might not want to eat a lot of grass. Also, due to how they were fed before you got them, they might not recognize grass as food. Get some scissors and chop up some fresh grass to sprinkle over their pre-wetted greens. Mix it all up and they will soon get used to the taste and texture. Start with only a small amount of grass and gradually increase the amount. Once they figure it out and put on a little more size, you will likely have bare dirt in your yard and you will be wishing they would stop eating so much grass... :D

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Tom said:
If they have enough other food, they might not want to eat a lot of grass. Also, due to how they were fed before you got them, they might not recognize grass as food. Get some scissors and chop up some fresh grass to sprinkle over their pre-wetted greens. Mix it all up and they will soon get used to the taste and texture. Start with only a small amount of grass and gradually increase the amount. Once they figure it out and put on a little more size, you will likely have bare dirt in your yard and you will be wishing they would stop eating so much grass... :D

Thanks Tom for the great info. How often should i be feeding them greens other than grass? Also when I put them outside on some days is it ok just not to feed them anything? and let them graze on there own

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All I can say is, my sulcata love st augustine grass.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
dmmj said:
All I can say is, my sulcata love st augustine grass.

I have no clue if Jackson MI has that? Worth a try if so im still working on reg grass for them lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.