HELP!! Tortoise on tortoise violence!

Yuukari

5 Year Member
My little guy franklin got attacked pretty bad when he dug into my other tortoises pen. His legs are missing scales, bloody but no longer bleeding and a bit of a bite to his nostrils. They are Russians. Any advice how to treat him.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Oh no. Poor baby. I am not sure. Clean it I would think, and maybe some antibiotic cream, but I am not sure what. @Yvonne G probably can give much better information.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would say rinse them off very well. Then put a little dab of Betadine on the injured areas. Then I would put on some Neosporin. Make sure he doesn't get any of the stuff in side his nostrils.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If his nares, nostrils have been injured make sure they are clear so he can breath properly.
Use a damp Q-tip to gently clean if necessary.
Keep him clean and in a warm dark clean place on a warm, clean towel or similar.
If the wounds are clean and not too serious then just leave him as shock is the biggest problem at this stage and he needs to recover in his own time.
if the wound is dirty or infected, and as a bite it may be use Betadine or flammazine on the wounds after cleaning thoroughly.
If you suspect more serious injury or major blood loss see a vet.
Make sure his habitat is spotlessly clean to prevent infection

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie:

As you've now found out, Russians are extremely aggressive towards other tortoises. I've always had a feeling that people don't believe us when we say that. For their size, they're very scrappy.

There's nothing to worry about with the injuries, though. Just treat them like you would treat your child's skinned knee. He'll be fine.

Killerrookie

Mm second most common injury besides dogs, make sure that the nostrils aren't clogged and make sure it's clean. Well clean the wound off too on the body and check on him everyday to make sure none of the areas are infected. Everyone has already covered pretty much everything you need to do so good luck!! Best wishes to the tortoise and you.
-Austin

Yuukari

5 Year Member
Thank you guys. I knew they were aggressive towards each other, been trying to keep them separated in their outdoor pen, unfortunately one made a tunnel under the wall. Back to the drawing board.

Franklin seems good this morning.
Now to figure out how to keep them separated. Ideas always welcome.
Still looking for a new home for him. :cool:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Glad Franklin's recovering, just keep him clean.
I'm surprised you haven't found a home for him.
I'd have him if it were possible.
It's very frustrating being so far from the tort action sometimes.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I placed pavers all the way around the perimeter of my enclosure. They like to dig up against a wall, and can't dig through the paver. My Russians have only been in this enclosure for about a month, but so far so good.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would advise digging a trench beside the shared wall and then put in a wood or concrete barrier to make it more difficult for either tort to dig under.

The deeper the trench the better, but at least 6" deep.