Dog Attacked Tortoise!

The Fish

Hey guys, my dog escaped into the yard and attacked my leopard tortoise. He injured his shell
IMG_1519.JPG

Does it look bad? What should I do???
Any advice will help!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't see any blood . It's only the shell? All you can do is keep it clean . Keep your dog away from him . Put some neosporin on it .

The Fish

I don't see any blood . It's only the shell? All you can do is keep it clean . Keep your dog away from him . Put some neosporin on it .

I don't see any blood either... He is super scared and has been inside his shell for awhile... Apply neosporin to the chipped shell?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Just rinse it off with water, dry it, then put some Neosporin on it. And then just leave him alone and let him calm down for a little bit. I'm sorry this happened to your beautiful little tortoise.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The exposed area will turn white (dead bone) and over the course of time new bone will grow under it and pop the dead bone back off. It will never look the same and it's going to take several years do that all to happen.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Agree with above. Your dog did what dogs do. I would just be super careful that it can't happen again.
Good luck!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The urine has some blood? I would watvh that it could have an internal injury.. From the pics it doesn't look that bad, but the bloody urine sould be watched.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok, no blood in the urine, but the shell is bleeding a bit, sounds pretty normal, for a dog attack, watch to make sure the bleeding does not intesify, the wound looks ok (relativly)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a very traumatic experience for a tortoise, and you can expect to see him acting pretty scared for a while.

What you're seeing is similar to you losing a fingernail. It hurts like hell, but it's not life threatening. Keep it clean, keep flies off it (packing on the Neosporin helps in this regard), and leave him alone as much as you can. Wipe off the medicine before you do your daily soak, dry it well and reapply after the soak.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think you will have to build a dog proof enclosure for your leopard.