Help! What is wrong my turtles shell?

spaceshells

Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
recently rescued a red eared slider and while wet the shell looks ok but when out of water and dried it gets very white around the edges of the scutes. I own another ReS and ive never seen this before? what could it be and how can I fix it?

edit: I feel like i should also add that the turtle shows no signs of being unwell, its eating well and loves to swim around quickly in the water
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.36.49 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.36.49 PM.png
    743.8 KB · Views: 13

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i
recently rescued a red eared slider and while wet the shell looks ok but when out of water and dried it gets very white around the edges of the scutes. I own another ReS and ive never seen this before? what could it be and how can I fix it?

edit: I feel like i should also add that the turtle shows no signs of being unwell, its eating well and loves to swim around quickly in the water
It may be hard water stains or Shell rot. i do think it’s most likely shell Rot.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You have to make sure it’s actually shell rot, i’ll wait more experienced members come. hang in there Buddy.
The treatment of shell rot can be started at home but if you do not see any improvement in a matter of days you will need to take your turtle to a reptile vet. If the infection has already eaten through the shell you should take your turtle to a vet immediately.
Swab the infected area of the shell with a diluted povidone-iodine solution.
Gently scrape away the infected area with a blunt tool of some sort like a butter knife use no force, then Swab the area with the dilute povidone-iodine solution again.
Treat the infected area with an antibiotic ointment, wait 10min after applying the ointment to return aquatic turtles to the water.
If you do not notice an improvement after a few days of treating with antibiotic ointment you can try treating with an antifungal cream.

If there is still no improvement after a few days you will need to take your turtle to a Vet.
If you do not see signs of improvement in a week, or if you are unsure about treating the infection at home, take your turtle to a qualified reptile vet.