help ! (what species is this)

vic--twm

i have been given a tortoise and i don't know what species it is can anyone help please ?

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

vic--twm

thanks for that, i live in the uk and the tortoise is around 7 years old i dont know if its male or female ? but it has been living in a wooden tank with a heat bulb and occassionaly left out in the garden (in a enclosure) i have noticed its nails are quite long so do u have any advice on this ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the above sounds good. Show us a pic of the tail and anal scutes and another pic of the nails and we can advise. They do tend to have long nails as they are a digging species, but we'll need to see just how long.

Wooden tables are fine as long as they are big enough. 4x8 feet is the minimum size I recommend for an adult russian like yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I can't get a feel for how long the tail is when its pointed straight at the camera like that. The second picture in your first post would have been perfect if it was just a little wider. Can you snap one of the whole underside of the tortoise and be wide enough to show the tail and the nails. I think that would do it.

vic--twm

thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nails don't look bad. It wouldn't hurt to Dremmel a little off the tips. I think you've got a female there.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Looks female to me too. Beak looks a little long in that first pic. I'd focus on that and not so much the nails.

vic--twm

what should i do with the beak ? think i should maybe take her to a reptile shop and get her looked over ?