Help with horsefield face

Jadeemma18

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hi,

My horsefield has something growing/coming off his face. I noticed it around a week ago and ever since its getting bigger. He (possibly even she) is booked in to the vets this weekend but I was wondering if anybody knew what it could be? I’m not sure how old he is, I got him in January but was never told how old he is but he fits in the palm of my hand with plenty of room around so still really tiny. I realise he has some bits of soil on his face still as he had just been digging before I took these pictures and it was before I soaked him. Also, his eye on one of the pictures is just where he was about to open it so looks abit strange but his eyes seem fine (I think but please let me know otherwise), he seems to be eating fine still too.

Thanks

DDB792A5-7960-4E9C-91AC-6BB6D8E52BF1.png 309B702E-F4B7-4533-915B-973D63C26EB1.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Is that just a flap of skin or is it an actual growth?

Did you modify your enclosure? Can we see pictures of it and the lighting now to see if it gives any clues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just looks like excess skin to me. Helps him open his mouth wider.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Do you have your tortoise on a sand substrate? I notice in the first pic it looks like sand. If so, sand can cause eye irritation issues and also gut impaction.
Most people on this forum use coco coir or fine grade orchid bark.

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
Not too sure I thought it was just skin but it seems to have a white ring around it. Nothing has changed in the enclosure I will take a picture and upload. Its not just sand its a mix, I’ve attached a photo, this is what I was given from the store I got him from. Should I get rid of it? I had bark but he didnt ever go on it, I have quite a few stones scattered in there too, is that ok?

Attachments

• 8A2CFBC3-742B-4561-A91C-76ABE70B93EB.jpeg
    8A2CFBC3-742B-4561-A91C-76ABE70B93EB.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 17

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No sand - it sticks to food, gets eaten and causes gut blockages

No small stones - torts will eat those too.

A tort needs a plain earthy type substrate that will hold water and stay damp to raise humidity.

There are several products sold for tortoises that are really very unsuitable indeed... some even have calcium pieces in and the last thing you want is to encourage your tort to eat the substrate!

Fine grade orchid bark or coco coir (both are cheaper from DIY stores, a garden centre or even Amazon ) will do the job.

You must tip water and mix it with your hands so it is evenly damp throughout.

You have a young tortoise and to be healthy it needs to be raised in warm and humid environment.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/