Help with Identifying this Tortoise please.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We're going to need some better pictures. My first inclination is that this is a small Heosemys grandis. It's really hard to ID for sure with the badly eroded shell missing so many identifying scutes. A top picture to see how serrated the rear margin of the carapace would be helpful. It seems to be very serrated which leads me to the Heosemys. The top jaw is also bicuspid. What I do see of plastral pattern leads me to H grandis as well. A good picture of the full plastron would be very helpful and a good head and neck shot would help.

@Aequor the Malaysian Giant Turtle - Orlitia borneensis does not have a serrated rear margin and does not have the bicuspid jaw.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Correct, black marsh turtle (Siebenrockiella crassicollis). They can be very personable, but also very finicky eaters. Even young ones that are raised to adulthood run into feeding issues. Best bet is to turn it loose, unless you can provide their very narrow diet......

tim0015

Gelugor
Ok, just saw @Markw84 's post.

Thank you everybody for your help. It isn't eating at the moment, but it seems lively enough. It looks old, and well weathered.

I think my wife wants to take him to a local Buddhist temple.