Help with lighting/heat/ and wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
I have read alot of conflicting information on lighting and heating for an indoor tortoise. I am planning on getting a 3inch long juvenile hermanns tortoise. I have a cement mixing tub which is 3 feet by 2 feet. I went to the pet store today to look at lighting and I am overwhelmed by the many options. I have read that powersun mvb is pretty good. I just bought 2 10 inch Flukers ceramic lighting fixtures. They can handle up to 250 W each. How many watts should I buy for 1 tortoise in such an enclosure with an open top. My apartment's average temperature during this time is in the 70's. Also should I buy a ceramic heat bulb for night? Thanks for your help! This is complicated to me!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get one 100 watt MVB and one ceramic heat emitter. The MVB gives off heat and light. The ceramic heat emitter only heat. You will have to check your temps, but you probably will get away with the MVB for the day time and only the Che for night time.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Cool thanks for the advice! What about the size of my clamp lamps? They are both 10 inches wide. Is that too big? I haven't opened them yet and can return them if needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure they are ceramic socket. Also make sure the MVB faces straight down. As far as the size of the light fixtures, I am not sure if any makes a difference over another. I have the dome type and I also have the wider ones. I guess do a fitting and see how it works. Also check temps at the same time. An make sure you have the varies temps you need for your type tort.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
You mentioned a 100 watt powersun. What about a 160 W whats the difference? Is it ok to have the better one or is 100 just fine. I also read that you cannot put the mercury vapor bulbs on a timer? I'm a musicians and I have a late night schedule. I was hoping that all bulbs could be timed so that I don't have to be concerned with problems of giving my tortoise a normal amount of daylight indoors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think the 160 will be over kill, but it will work. Just make sure you check temps after you get things set up. Better to do it ahead of time. I have my MVB on timers. Always have, even with my lizards. They can't be on a thermostat because when they are turned off, they have to cool in order to come back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.