Help with outdoor enclosure for Russian

Shesabutterfly16

Location (City and/or State)
Aurora CO
Hey all and need your help!
I’m looking to turn this old chicken coop into a secure outdoor enclosure for my Russian Tortoise. I plan to put it in the garden so natural food sources/weeds can grow up from the floor for him to munch on. But will hopefully keep predators out! Any and all tips welcome please and ThankyouIMG_0817.jpegIMG_0818.jpeg

Shesabutterfly16

Aurora CO
Thanks so much for your feedback!! How would I do a dig barrier? That is partially what I was trying to figure out I guess….how I secure it to ground so he can’t escape.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thanks so much for your feedback!! How would I do a dig barrier? That is partially what I was trying to figure out I guess….how I secure it to ground so he can’t escape.
I think if I were you, I’d dig down a bit and make some sort of frame, kind of like a garden bed frame, making sure the walls of it are high enough and sunk into the ground about half a foot, you could even lay down some mesh or slabs, then put the dirt from your garden back on top and plant some grass etc, then place this frame over the top of all that, just an idea, there’s a few ways you could do it🙂

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
I would dig a 12 inch ditch around the perimeter and bury hardware wire or whatever barrier u choose fastened to the bottom of enclosure. U could get away with 6-8 inch

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You see the barrier at the bottom of this? I’m thinking something like that but sunk into the ground a bit, then to make double sure you could put the slabs or mesh under the grass, might have to wait for it to grow but that’s the general idea I’m thinking🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpeg
    IMG_2008.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 0

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh and just a heads up, I’d remove all the gravel from wherever you’re setting up👍they have been known to swallow pieces and it’s caused blockages

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Im an idiot. I just noticed.. ur gonna want a site barrier along the bottom of the chicken wire or ur torts gonna try to keep pushing through and possibly injure itself