Help with Redfoot tortoise enclosure

805Franklin

Location (City and/or State)
Santa paula
Hello,
I was just recently gifted a redfoot tortoise and would like to receive some help and feed back to improve my tortoises enclosure. He is kept indoors where the temperature is about 80-90 in the day time and 70 or above in the night with a humidity of 70-80. Ive used cypress mulch for the bedding, a fake tree trunk for hiding, aloe vera plants, calcium bone, and a water bowl. For lighting I use a mini 10.0 uvb lightbulb and a 100wat basking bulb. I was also given a red heat lamp for the night but I do not use it. Im unsure of where I should place the lamps and where I should create the basking area. Any feedback would help , thanks!

Attachments

• A02185AD-43D0-4410-93B1-6DA74EBFD885.jpeg
    A02185AD-43D0-4410-93B1-6DA74EBFD885.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 16

805Franklin

Santa paula
Hello,
I was just recently gifted a redfoot tortoise and would like to receive some help and feed back to improve my tortoises enclosure. He is kept indoors where the temperature is about 80-90 in the day time and 70 or above in the night with a humidity of 70-80. Ive used cypress mulch for the bedding, a fake tree trunk for hiding, aloe vera plants, calcium bone, and a water bowl. For lighting I use a mini 10.0 uvb lightbulb and a 100wat basking bulb. I was also given a red heat lamp for the night but I do not use it. Im unsure of where I should place the lamps and where I should create the basking area. I also notice that he likes to stay inside the hut for long periods of times so I do worry he isnt receiving enough uv, however he is also taken outside everyday and placed in a sunny area. Any feedback would help , thanks
!D9662804-F84D-4514-A33E-06008BE6E8E5.jpeg

Attachments

• 064B827C-5F59-4865-AEFB-4576F556CADA.jpeg
    064B827C-5F59-4865-AEFB-4576F556CADA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello! welcome and congrats on the redfoot :) have you named them yet?

here are two care sheets for you from the forum where you can double check the info you already have, maybe get some new info:

I can tell from your second photo that your tortoises eyes are watering, and he/she is quite dry. You will need to add and monitor humidity to increase the enclosure to around 60%+ to ensure smooth shell and organ growth.

To manage and maintain humidity you will probably need to cover the top of the tank with a shower curtain or plexiglass so the moisture stays inside and does not escape. you will probably need a hygrometer to monitor the humidity percentage in the cage, as well as a thermostat for your heat light to ensure temperatures never go beyond a certain point and only turn on when they need to.
You will probably need to moisten your cypress mulch bedding with warm water and mix 1-2x a week to raise the humidity.

The piece of wood you have in there now will probably start to mold once your humidity is raised. Believe me, mold is a huge pain in the butt.

Redfoots dont really like harsh lights or basking, so what you will probably want (instead of the basking bulb or a red light) is a ceramic heat emitter that emits only heat and no light. Your redfoot will want ambient temps of about 80 degrees, with no drops or gains in temperature for day or night. It is imperative that your tortoise is kept warm once humidity is added - you never want them to be wet and cold, especially when young.

Can you show me if the UV light you have is a compact or coil bulb? These tend to hurt or damage tortoises eyes so generally our forum stays away from them. Tube UV bulbs are far better and recommended.

The points above are most critical and need immediate improvement.

For later on, I suggest you take a look at indoor greenhouses or build your own PVC enclosure, because that tank is too small even now. You can usually find cheap plastic bins that are bigger than most aquariums and these are BETTER than what you have, because your tortoise can see there is space outside of his enclosure so he will try to get out. The glass tends to cause flipping.

Are you soaking your tortoise a few times a week?

Happy to help if you have any questions

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How big is your redfoot? Is he still a baby, or close to adult size?

I ask because that water bowl is very dangerous for little ones. They don't bend in the middle, so 'up and over' is nearly impossible for them. The sides are steep, so the little tort stands up to try to get in or out and ends up on his back. If he's in water, he drowns.

Please get rid of it ASAP, and put in a terra cotta plant saucer instead.