Help with spring mix ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
It's really too bad that this has turned into a "them vs. us", "newbie vs. experienced". I don't like the feel of this. Yes, I am a new tortosie owner. Yes, I'm looking for advice and information to be a responsible pet owner. Yes, I have my tortoise's well being as a top priority. However... it's really sad that there is clearly a need to "scare" the new tort owners by some people. That's really too bad. I think newbies should be treated with the same respect you would treat someone with years of experience. There's no need to "scare" us... we're just looking for your opinion and some advice if you're willing to give it. Funny how this all started with a simple picture of endive!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, Sonja: We don't mean to scare or talk down to anyone. But when you've gone through the pain of sickness (stones) or trying to nurse a baby that's not thriving, you get pumped about your subject. We don't mean for you to take any offense. It is up to the reader to decide and we're trying to give all sides of the picture. We really ARE a very friendly, and people oriented group, and even though it might sound like it, none of us is mad at the other. Please don't be offended. One of the great things about our forum is that we have different opinions on every subject. Most forums use the "follow-the-leader" approach and the only opinion you will see stated is the one expressed by the group owner. Here we like and encourage different opinions. How else are we all going to learn?

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry Sonja, I guess I kinda started this, and for that I apologize. It's just that in my opinion and experience spinach isn't something to be that afraid of when part of a varied diet. I felt bad that you were picking out spinach leafs when to me spinach isn't that big a deal. So please accept my sincere apology and I will back out of this thread and let y'all finish talking about picking out spinach...:)...or not picking:D

S

stells

TBH i would prefer someone to feel scared over the convo thats being had here rather than the scare i got at a small tortoise trying to pass a big stone... but each to their own :) I will slip away quietly from this thread now ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

I did want to say one more thing tho...when opinions fly back and forth on paper like this thread has, it may sound like an argument rather then people expressing their opinions. There was no anger here, this was not an "argument or fight" to me it was a disagreement of opinions. To me, that's different than an argument with anger. It's hard to express one's opinion and disagree with another's opinion on paper. When several people take part in the discussion it may sound bad. But in situations like this several people had opinions, and the expressing of those opinions back and forth can/may sound like an argument...but in most cases it's not a mad argument. How else are numerous people in a situation going to get their opinions out? I personally don't think it's a bad thing...several of us have different opinions and we all put them out there, to Sonja it sounded or felt like an argument, to me it was a differing of opinions, all expressed without anger.
I think that's a good thing, a way to see how many options there are to keep reptiles. This forum is a great place to learn and to help others...rarely is there a mad argument..
I don't think disagreements expressed intelligently and without rancor are a bad thing, but it may make others uncomfortable.

S

stells

No anger from this end either Maggie :) Just my personal experience which is all i can go by in my eyes :)

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
tofuqueen said:
Okay, so I feel a little silly having to post this... but I'll put my pride aside for Pablo. :p Can anyone tell me what type of lettuce/green this is? I bought some organic spring mix and I have no idea what type of lettuce this is! I want to make sure it's okay for my Russian tortoise. I was happy that I was able to find a good spring mix that didn't have spinach, romaine, or iceburg lettuce. Just want to make sure this curly stuff is good for him!
Thanks!!

its frisee lettuce and its OK for a tort to eat

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
spring pace said:
its frisee lettuce and its OK for a tort to eat

I agree with spring, it's Frisee. Which is something that was probably listed on your mix. All the spring mixes here have it, my tort always goes for it first lol.

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
yeah, i have a box of spring mix, looked at the ingredients, picked the likely one then checked the web to be sure i was right. pictures are very helpful. smiles spring

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I just bought Collard Greens for the first time this week. I carry a small list of the good tort foods in my wallet and for some reason Collards were not on it. I was actually mad I bought it by accident. Anyway, I fed it to the Greeks and they love it. I checked the link attached and come to find out their good! Not sure how they missed the list in my wallet! Am I missing something bad about Collards that I may have read here on this forum previously????

http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
bettinge said:
I just bought Collard Greens for the first time this week. I carry a small list of the good tort foods in my wallet and for some reason Collards were not on it. I was actually mad I bought it by accident. Anyway, I fed it to the Greeks and they love it. I checked the link attached and come to find out their good! Not sure how they missed the list in my wallet! Am I missing something bad about Collards that I may have read here on this forum previously????

http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm

Collard greens can cause goiters, which is probably why it wasn't on your list. I feed my guy maybe a 2"x2" piece of collard green only once a week.

I'm still confused on the whole dandelion thing. A lot of websites actually have it at a very low oxalic acid count, while others have it in the medium range.

Status
Not open for further replies.