ashleighashley

5 Year Member
Hermann's Tort.
Large table
UVB/Heat combo
cypress mulch substate
approx. 35 weeks old (tiny little guy)

Hello,
I noticed Einstein walking around his table one day with his eyes closed. Up until this point I had been using a cheapo aquarium therm. for temp. regulation. When I noticed this I bought one of the expensive laser pointer kinds. I realized his basking temp. was too hot. 102-103 F although the other end of the table was in the 70's, (was he too young to be able to get away from the heat?) Or perhaps this has nothing to do with my issues. Anyways... He still kept his eyes closed once I adjusted the temp. So I took a q-tip and dripped water on his eyes, he would open them after this and I noticed some white spots on his eyes. He would ONLY open his eyes after the water and for only a few mins. after this. I called the vet and sent her picts. She told me to give him 1-2 drops of cod liver oil and apply terramycin ointment. It has been about a week and he does open his eyes a lot more but he still has the same white spots, and still walks around with the closed often. He will keep them open during and after soaking, eating and a little after, and after I apply the eye ointment. He does NOT have any symptoms of a runny nose. He has quit eating his greens, and will only eat tomatoes. I know tomatoes are a "TREAT ONLY" food but when he doesn't eat his greens I assume I should let him eat something. He seems to eat those very well as well as the pellet food that the seller gave to me. He also seems to be going the bathroom normally. He does seem a bit sluggish but I have NEVER been around tortoises and I am not sure what they are supposed to act like. He NEVER goes to the cool side of the table he'll stay at the warm end or in-between. But his is not new though. I want to include everything.
One more thing (may not be a prob.) : I also noticed that the top and bottom of his plastron is hard, but the middle tends to give a little, at what point is soft too soft? how hard should this be... keep in mind he is really young!
Also the cypress substrate seems to have small pieces that stick to his eyes, mouth, face etc. Should I change to something else??? this is what was recommended. Someone please help! the Internet is so contradicting! I am making him a vet appointment tomorrow, I just would like someone who maybe has gone through the same thing , or knows something about this to let me know what is going on.... any ideas?
thanks
ashleigh

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you use a coil bulb? if so,, turn it off asap!
substrate could be getting into his eyes.. but the ointment should have helped.
a slight give on the underside in the middle is normal when babies..

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Hi Ashleigh

It sounds like your humidity is too low...
Your temperatures are okay...
What kinds of "greens" are you feeding??? Please describe your diet in detail...
As of the "softness" of his plastron (lower shell)... Young tortioses plastron should be firm but not solid at this age... The plastral seam giving only slightly to digital pressure... It is from the center suture that they grow...
You have not mentioned using a calcium or D3 light source... All tortoises and turtles need a source of UV lighting... Direct sunlight with shady areas so that tey can thermoregulate or UV lighting with calcium and D3 added to their diet...
White spots on his eyes... need to be seen by the vet... could be physical injury because of your cypress substrate... could be bacterial, fungal or viral in origin... Your vet would be better able to tell...
Cypress mulch as a stubstrate is good... Substrate needs to be moistened creating a source of humidity... Dry and Humid hides on both basking end and cool end of environment...

More advice is one the way...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of bulb are you using? You say he is very young...do you have a heat source that he can lay under that is not constantly baking his eyes with intense light...what I mean is...is he able to warm up with out having to constantly be exposed to the uvb rays?...in my humble opinion, I feel that when you have a young baby you should provide a uvb light and then a second bulb/CHE/black or red heat lamp...I believe that the baby can have damage to their eyes if forced to remain under a MVB simply to stay warmmmyou know what I mean? Perhaps if you already have a MVB you can get a black or red heat lamp or CHE to place elsewhere in the table to then give your baby the option for warmth alone without have constant uvb pounding down on his little eyes....but the MVB will be in another spot to provide the option when he needs it...

Also...I think you may be setting yourself up for a eating issue if you allow him to strong arm you into only offering what he wants...of course he will want what he thinks is yummy if given the opportunity..I believe you need to back off on the tomatoes and place a wider variety of food in for him..also add some foods high in vitamin a as that will be beneficial in strengthening his eyes....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashleigh:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.