Herman Tortoise Wee

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,

Hope everyone is doing well, just on here regarding a question. When Herman wees its clear and then some sorta white stringy thing is there. I have pictures where it seems to have been larger and like settled into a blob or something like that. Is this normal?

All I have changed in his diet is I’ve added kale to his food and I’m fairly sure that’s okay. I’ll provide a picture of the dried white stuff below but please do let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpeg
    IMG_5882.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
They’re urates, if built up they can form stones so I’d keep a close eye, kale is fine as part of variation but in excess can contribute to possible stones, least from what I’ve read. It’s great to add a few times a week though, just not everyday and not too much🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi peeps,

Hope everyone is doing well, just on here regarding a question. When Herman wees its clear and then some sorta white stringy thing is there. I have pictures where it seems to have been larger and like settled into a blob or something like that. Is this normal?

All I have changed in his diet is I’ve added kale to his food and I’m fairly sure that’s okay. I’ll provide a picture of the dried white stuff below but please do let me know. Thanks!
Urates. Yours are the right consistency and not a problem. If they become thicker in consistency or gritty, it indicates too much protein in the diet, or not enough hydration. More soaking and more hydration will keep urate formation to a minimum.

Urates are a by-product of protein digestion. They are not caused by oxalates.

Kale is fine once in a while, but not as a regular staple.