Hermann has damaged shell

Chickenums

Location (City and/or State)
East Yorkshire
IMG_20210530_113059576.jpg

Our 12yr old tortoise has lost some scutes. We've been told he's alright but I'm still a little worried about him. The person we spoke to was the qualified breeder we bought him off so I'm hoping they're right...

We're not really sure what happened. He did stop eating a few years ago for a little while but he's been fine since. He has a varied diet and has the correct lamps. His enclosure is outside and we converted the shed so he can come in and out when he wants to.

Has anyone any advice? Is he ok?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. It’s very possible that your heat lamps were too close to the tort’s carapace and prolonged heat damaged/ruined the scutes. They then dried up & peeled off.

Do you brumate/hibernate this guy outside?

When did the scutes fall off? Recently or some time ago? Check the temperatures under your heat lamps.

Heat/burn damage are the usual suspect for scute damage.

Chickenums

East Yorkshire
Greetings. It’s very possible that your heat lamps were too close to the tort’s carapace and prolonged heat damaged/ruined the scutes. They then dried up & peeled off.

Do you brumate/hibernate this guy outside?

When did the scutes fall off? Recently or some time ago? Check the temperatures under your heat lamps.

Heat/burn damage are the usual suspect for scute damage.
Thank you for replying.

He hibernates in his own fridge so the temperature is the regulated and his fridge is in the garage.

They started to fall off nearly 2 years ago now and haven't gotten any worse over this last year.

I'll check the heat and move his lamp up.

Again, thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you for replying.

He hibernates in his own fridge so the temperature is the regulated and his fridge is in the garage.

They started to fall off nearly 2 years ago now and haven't gotten any worse over this last year.

I'll check the heat and move his lamp up.

Again, thank you!

Hopefully whatever conditions were in place two or three years ago are no longer in place.