HERMANNS ID PLS :( I thought T. h. hermanni

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hi guys I thought my lil one was a testudo hermanni hermanni. Please can someone give me an ID my CITES paperwork just says testudo hermanni.
Thanks in advance guys, appreciate it, here are the (slightly blurred best I could do with the fidget) pics:

SDC10699.jpg

SDC10701.jpg

SDC10702.jpg

SDC10703.jpg

SDC10704.jpg

SDC10706.jpg

I just thought it was because of all the markings and the fact its older than my ibera but smaller i dunno, anyway pls help thanks :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It does look like a male T.h.hermanni to me :) but can you take a plastron picture outside with no flash? (that way I can see the plastron better (it's a bit washed out with the flash :p))

Danny

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
i will try take one tomorrow danny thanks :) bedtime for them right now lol. I asked someone else the same question and they talked to me like I was stupid saying T.h.hermanni were rare and its really difficult to get hold of one and that i couldnt possibly. I guess I assumed looking at chris's fantastic post on the differences between the 3 subspecies

lol O no lol its a male? oops better change the name bella then lol its 3" does that make a difference? I was given a guess it was female but then i said i was after a female so they probably wanted the sale, never mind, i still love ...IT (til i rename)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ch12ag said:
i will try take one tomorrow danny thanks :) bedtime for them right now lol. I asked someone else the same question and they talked to me like I was stupid saying T.h.hermanni were rare and its really difficult to get hold of one and that i couldnt possibly. I guess I assumed looking at chris's fantastic post on the differences between the 3 subspecies

lol O no lol its a male? oops better change the name bella then lol its 3" does that make a difference? I was given a guess it was female but then i said i was after a female so they probably wanted the sale, never mind, i still love ...IT (til i rename)

No need to change the name...just drop one "L".

"Bela" is a masculine name in Eastern Europe, other places.

bela_lugosi_2.jpg

Bela Lugosi

bela-bartok-hs.jpg

Bela Bartok

bela_banjo_article.jpg

Bela Fleck​

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
LOL I cant believe u googled that lol but thank you Terry appreciate the time you took out to help lol I was hopin it was a female, never mind I just got my hopes up it was a T.h.h as it makes BELA that little bit more special lol anyone think its something other than T.h.h??

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ch12ag said:
LOL I cant believe u googled that lol but thank you Terry appreciate the time you took out to help lol I was hopin it was a female, never mind I just got my hopes up it was a T.h.h as it makes BELA that little bit more special lol anyone think its something other than T.h.h??

Big fan of all three Belas... :cool:

Dan is the resident "expert" on subspecies of European torts, so he'll be along w/ a Pronouncement directly... :D

Either way, it's a handsome little dude...love the pic in the other thread where he's looking most fierce! :cool:

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
yes it's a male testudo hermanni ..i have 10 of them myself..its also a very well formed tortoise ..may i ask are you living in the states or over seas ? just wondering if you bought it here in the USA...ed

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
hey ed do you know if its a testudo hermanni hermanni or another subspecies? Thanks :)

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
Looks to me like a testudo hermanni boettgeri, i am no expert though, i just know that boettgeris' tend to have the broken up black strips on their plastron.

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
Thanks Paige :), I dont know, the plastron of the T. h. boettgeri in chris's thread
(http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5753.html)
looks very different to this one, here are a few more pics without flash as requested danny. Hope this helps, the strips on the plastron are really only broken up by the lines where the scutes meet. its pretty solid colour and well defined, here are more pics:

SDC10709.jpg

SDC10708.jpg

Sorry best shots i could get he's such a fidget! lol

Also all the other features point to hermanni hermanni to, I just wanted a confirmation because someone snapped at me n said they were rare but surely if it was that rare the subspecies would be very expensive or not even available 'on the market' as it were. I dont know. let me know what you guys think of these pics thanks :)

He also has a longer femoral scute suture than pectoral scute suture, just checked :). I guess Chris's post pretty much confirms but still I'd prefer if one of you lovely experts could confirm by looking at BELA himself, thanks :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Most definately a T.h.hermanni :D

Danny

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
YAY :) Thanks danny! sorry bout the blurryness of the pics. Do you know if they are rarer out of interest? because the lady i was speaking to abruptly shut me up lol and went off on one...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The subspecies is rarer in captivity, in the States and in the UK.

Danny

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
o ok, I think i will rename him HENRY now im told he's male lol

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
sorry for my misinformation, i only thought he was a boettgeri because i thought he looked a lot like mine.
Jimmy050410194.jpg

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
Hey paige yea ur lil ones plastron markings seem very black and defined breaks at the scutes similar to mine. wat does the carpace look like? any photos?

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
Oooo yea he does look a lot like mine doesnt he :S his markings make him look like a t.h.hermanni too. Are you sure he is a boettgeri? lol or a cross? oo that has confused me lol have u got a pic of him from behind a pic of his bum I would love to see the back scutes if you can, :) but :S lol

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
This is the best shot i have got of the back of him at the moment.
Jimmyoutside540.jpg

He clearly has the keyhole which is typical of the hermanni hermanni and he even has the yellow colouring behind each ear so i don't know, i did wonder when i first got him whether in fact he was a hermanni hermanni, his paper work says he is a boettgeri and i found images on the internet of boettgeris that looked like him but who knows, i couldn't say for a fact that he was a boettgeri, his colour is very rich for a boettgeri, so may be he is not.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your paperwork says T.h.boettgeri? Paige. Where did you get her from?

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.