Hermanns or Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I've got the itch to get more tortoises and I'd like to stay with Mediterraneans. Who like which of these two better and why? Im going to get babies because they are so much easier to find.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
68merc said:
I've got the itch to get more tortoises and I'd like to stay with Mediterraneans. Who like which of these two better and why? Im going to get babies because they are so much easier to find.

I've never had a Greek (although I am 1/2 Greek) but I have a Hermanns and so does my daughter and I adore them. They are very personable, not shy, and really responsive. They are easy to care for and not too big. So there's my 2 cents.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have little experience with either species, but I've wanted some Eastern Hermanni for a long time. From what I've gathered, the hermanni get a little bigger and are usually a bit more personable. I also prefer the head shape and size of the hermanni. Nothing wrong with the greeks, but all of the above make me lean toward the hermanni.

If you go this way, I know a wholesaler who has a bunch of nice ones right now. Shoot me a PM for more details.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Eastern Hermann's are very adaptable to several different types of environments, as are Ibera Greeks from the Northern Mediterranean area. Almost all of the Greek tortoises imported in the last 6-8 years are from various regions of the Middle East. They do have slightly different environmental requirements than any of the Hermann subspecies or Ibera Greeks.

Of the three above in terms of overall hardiness, adaptability, activity and personality Eastern Hermann's are a clear number one, Northern Mediterranean Ibera Greeks number two and Middle Eastern Greeks number three.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Both are amazing little animals. As for the question of which one is "better," it depends on where they're from and where you live.

Many populations/subspecies of Greek tortoises come from hot, semi-arid habitats around the southern and eastern Mediterranean shores (North Africa and the Middle East), and so they are a bit more delicate. Hermanns and certain subspecies of Greeks, however, come from the northern Mediterranean (southern and eastern Europe), so they are more pre-adapted to the conditions of North America.

Greeks also come from scrubbier habitats, while Hermanns come from woodier habitats. So, Hermanns seem to tolerate higher humidity levels a bit better, again, because that's what their natural habitat has (although the Greek tortoises in Israel do live in rather humid environments).

You live in Fresno, CA, right 68Merc? If I were in your shoes, I would probably rather get a Hermann than a Greek. Central California gets a bit chillier than SoCal, so I think a Hermann would tolerate that better.

Of course, you could go for the third Testudo species: the Russian or steppe tortoise. They are from Central Asia, and the farthest-north ranging tortoise in the world, so they would do well where you live, too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would vote for Hermann from their looks to fitting their needs (and hopefully your needs as well ;) ).

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
68merc said:

Both can be good, but I prefer the Hermann's...Iberian Greeks are sometimes shy, while Hermann's rarely ever are.

Other than that, care is remarkably similar.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Well with all the votes for Hermann I think that's what ill do. I can get hatchlings here local from a CTTC member. Now, how many should I buy? Id like at least 3 from 2 different sources.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
hmmm do I hear the sounds of somebody having future plans of breeding.....:)

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Jacqui said:
If your going to have Tortoises you might as well raise some babies!
My dad raised Canaries, i remember him making food for them. Boiled egg yoke and poppy seed. I think that is where i get it from!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like both species I like the variety of colors on the hermanns , especially maggie's I also like the greeks colors, I eventually would like to keep both species, but if I had to choose one I would probably choose the greeks, but keep in mind I like both.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
68merc said:
Jacqui said:
If your going to have Tortoises you might as well raise some babies!
My dad raised Canaries, i remember him making food for them. Boiled egg yoke and poppy seed. I think that is where i get it from!

:D You are sooooo addicted! :D ... and yes, I think that is a good thing. ;)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
68merc said:
Well with all the votes for Hermann I think that's what ill do. I can get hatchlings here local from a CTTC member. Now, how many should I buy? Id like at least 3 from 2 different sources.

1 male, at least 2 females (but 3 or more is even better!)

Status
Not open for further replies.