Hermanns shell peeling off help!

Mweigel

Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta
203F7299-FA2F-492C-98E6-547AE6A12405.jpeg So I just noticed this after her bath. I though it was from scratching on her calcium block so I scratched it and more came off. What could this be? There’s nothing like it anywhere else on her shell and she’s still very active

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Not sure but I would get a small tooth brush during next soak and brush it to remove it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 310039 So I just noticed this after her bath. I though it was from scratching on her calcium block so I scratched it and more came off. What could this be? There’s nothing like it anywhere else on her shell and she’s still very active
That is shell rot. Have you looked to see if there is more on the bottom shell?

Mweigel

Oneonta
That is shell rot. Have you looked to see if there is more on the bottom shell?
Really? I looked everywhere else on her shell and saw nothing. I even went over everywhere with my fingernail and nothing else came up and nothing is soft

zovick

10 Year Member!
Really? I looked everywhere else on her shell and saw nothing. I even went over everywhere with my fingernail and nothing else came up and nothing is soft
That spot is shell rot, believe me. You need to take a very stiff bristle brush and clean it off, or scrape it with a metal instrument to remove the dead (white) debris, then apply athlete's foot cream on it to get it to stop.

Mweigel

Oneonta
That spot is shell rot, believe me. You need to take a very stiff bristle brush and clean it off, or scrape it with a metal instrument to remove the dead (white) debris, then apply athlete's foot cream on it to get it to stop.
Ok I will do that, How long should I wait to take her to the vet? I wouldn't be able to take her until the 4th due to the vet being 2 hours from me and not open this weekend....do you think she will be ok until then if I clean it and add the foot creme? Also any type of foot creme?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok I will do that, How long should I wait to take her to the vet? I wouldn't be able to take her until the 4th due to the vet being 2 hours from me and not open this weekend....do you think she will be ok until then if I clean it and add the foot creme? Also any type of foot creme?
You don't need a vet visit if that is the only spot with the rot. Just clean off the white areas (dead shell tissue) and then put any brand of antifungal athlete's foot foot cream on it. It will kill the fungus which is causing the shell rot. Usually it works in a few days to a week. Then just keep checking that area and repeat the process if it comes back.

Can you post a photo of the entire bottom shell of your tortoise? I would like to see if there are any other spots visible on the underside of the shell which need treatment.

Mweigel

Oneonta
82E162CB-5B3C-451D-A0C4-320F458686CE.jpeg @zovik01E980BD-1D43-4107-A1EF-097C2B8F3145.jpegI’m going to do the athletes foot cream now. I called thevet for advice but haven’t heard back from them yet

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 310103 @zovikView attachment 310104I’m going to do the athletes foot cream now. I called thevet for advice but haven’t heard back from them yet
Thanks for the pix. You are right, the rest of the tortoise's shell looks pretty good. I do see one other tiny spot of possible shell rot on the inside of the left rear leg hole at the junction between two of the marginal scutes. Do you see that? I would clean that area and apply the antifungal cream to it also.

Mweigel

Oneonta
Thanks for the pix. You are right, the rest of the tortoise's shell looks pretty good. I do see one other tiny spot of possible shell rot on the inside of the left rear leg hole at the junction between two of the marginal scutes. Do you see that? I would clean that area and apply the antifungal cream to it also.
The dark brown spot? I can do that just in case. I just soaked her and tried scraping by her tail and the white won’t come off so I stopped messing with it. image.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
The dark brown spot? I can do that just in case. I just soaked her and tried scraping by her tail and the white won’t come off so I stopped messing with it. View attachment 310122
The spot in the leg hole is not brown; it is another white area right where two of the scutes come together.

the white area left showing under the tail should come off if you scrape it harder. Use the tip of a knife blade and gently go back and forth. If you still can't get it, just put the cream on it the way it is and then go back to try scraping it off again in a few days. Do the same with the white area in the leg hole.

Good luck.

Mweigel

Oneonta
The spot in the leg hole is not brown; it is another white area right where two of the scutes come together.

the white area left showing under the tail should come off if you scrape it harder. Use the tip of a knife blade and gently go back and forth. If you still can't get it, just put the cream on it the way it is and then go back to try scraping it off again in a few days. Do the same with the white area in the leg hole.

Good luck.
Oh I see, when I bathed her it wasn't there. When I scrape near her tail again the white stuff what it's supposed to look like? Thank you for all your help I super appreciate it!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Oh I see, when I bathed her it wasn't there. When I scrape near her tail again the white stuff what it's supposed to look like? Thank you for all your help I super appreciate it!
It will still look whitish in color, but will be a cleaner looking surface. You are trying to remove the dead and infected bone tissue so the part underneath it can heal and not become infected. Does that make sense? You might see a few tiny drops of blood as you scrape, too. If you see the blood drops, you have scraped enough off for that time.

Mweigel

Oneonta
It will still look whitish in color, but will be a cleaner looking surface. You are trying to remove the dead and infected bone tissue so the part underneath it can heal and not become infected. Does that make sense? You might see a few tiny drops of blood as you scrape, too. If you see the blood drops, you have scraped enough off for that time.
6211BD88-3F28-4B03-8560-1BEE5B78B3DB.jpegHere’s an update. Do you think it is healing how it’s suppose to? This is after 5 uses of athletes foot cream. And I’ve scraped there 3 times.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Looks better than when you started!

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 310297Here’s an update. Do you think it is healing how it’s suppose to? This is after 5 uses of athletes foot cream. And I’ve scraped there 3 times.
It looks much better. I would keep using the athlete's foot cream for another 5 days or so (10 days total). That is usually enough to kill off the fungus. Then just keep an eye on it and if it starts up again, you will know what to do.

Did you do the area I mentioned to you in the leg hole also?

Mweigel

Oneonta
It looks much better. I would keep using the athlete's foot cream for another 5 days or so (10 days total). That is usually enough to kill off the fungus. Then just keep an eye on it and if it starts up again, you will know what to do.

Did you do the area I mentioned to you in the leg hole also?
I tried scraping it and nothing came off so I focused more on the tail. but I decided to try scraping it today and she bled a little bit which made me feel bad. So not I will focus on that area too along with the same on the other side since it looks the same. I originally thought it was shell growth. I can't get any more to scrape off her tail so that's good right?

Is it ok if I start doing it once a day instead of 2? My job is getting stupid with the hours and today i could only do the treatment once.