Hermanns tortoise set up help,

Lucas791

I have a hermanns tortoise 5 inchs long, his enclosure is 39 inchs long by 24 inchs wide, but he keeps going to the corners and clawing and climbing like he wants out, why would he do this in a wooden tortoise table?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Cap the corners...and be sure that the enclosure walls are high/tall enough that he can not get anywhere near the top---a tortoise seems always convinced there is something on the other side that is so fricken awesome that they will try like crazy to see for themselves....

Also, if you want to make sure that the temps and humidity level a bit...try to cover the top at least half or 3/4 of the top...this will allow the temps to stable out a bit....

Also, yes the light is more desirable at a directly above shining down directly vs at an angle....you can hang it from the ceiling or you can use a plant hanger on the wall directly on the wall adjacent to the enclosure....

You say your temps are bang on, however--a completely open top shallow enclosure as yours is hard to maintain steady temps...hence why I suggested some covering :D

abclements

5 Year Member
Along with what Angela said, a 3'x2' enclosure is very small for a 5" tortoise. He could be trying to escape because he wants more room.

Lucas791

ascott said:
Cap the corners...and be sure that the enclosure walls are high/tall enough that he can not get anywhere near the top---a tortoise seems always convinced there is something on the other side that is so fricken awesome that they will try like crazy to see for themselves....

Also, if you want to make sure that the temps and humidity level a bit...try to cover the top at least half or 3/4 of the top...this will allow the temps to stable out a bit....

Also, yes the light is more desirable at a directly above shining down directly vs at an angle....you can hang it from the ceiling or you can use a plant hanger on the wall directly on the wall adjacent to the enclosure....

You say your temps are bang on, however--a completely open top shallow enclosure as yours is hard to maintain steady temps...hence why I suggested some covering :D
I'm using the repti sun 150 watt, keeps it at about 100F and as well as the cooler side it's always 80 and this is what my house is set too.

abclements said:
Along with what Angela said, a 3'x2' enclosure is very small for a 5" tortoise. He could be trying to escape because he wants more room.

How is it not large enough? I was told a 4x2 is big enough even for a full grown hermanns, by many many people and through reading. Although bigger is ideal, that's the "minimum" I've read.