Herping goal achieved!

Beetle_Rain

Location (City and/or State)
Winter Park FL
I know this isn’t tortoise specific but I randomly achieved one of my herping goals recently! I was driving home from work and saw this big guy in the road and since moving to Florida finding a Florida box turtle in the wild has been at the top of my list! I’ve been grateful enough to find plenty of eastern box turtles growing up in Jersey but these are truly different! Typically I wouldn’t relocate a wild animal but he was heading onto the highway. During my time in Florida I’ve also been able to cross off finding a Gopher Tortoise on many occasions which has also been incredibly exciting for me!
IMG_0364.jpegIMG_0365.jpegIMG_0366.jpegIMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_0596.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So what did you do with him?
Not only should you not take from the wild, but they will spend their life getting back to their territory when relocated.
Best thing to do is bring him back and place him in the safest place in the direction he was going when you found him. They don't have big Territories, and at his size, I'd say he has adapted the best he could to the area.

Beetle_Rain

Winter Park FL
So what did you do with him?
Not only should you not take from the wild, but they will spend their life getting back to their territory when relocated.
Best thing to do is bring him back and place him in the safest place in the direction he was going when you found him. They don't have big Territories, and at his size, I'd say he has adapted the best he could to the area.
So firstly I would never take a wild animal from the wild that’s basically a death sentence for him. Secondly I found him at the front of my apartment complex actively heading into a three lane highway so I brought him to the back of my complex which should still be close enough to still be in his territory and leads right into the forest if he wanted to get back to where I found him it would be incredibly easy for him.