HEY YOU...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I don't expect anybody to respond to my weird posts mostly...But not one person commented on this little tortoise...really???Ok... lets'try this again...
I begged my sister for this Manouria. She said no...
100_0922.JPG100_0924.JPG
Also no comments on this guy...gosh, you guys...how many of you keep these or even know what it is???????
100_0891.JPG100_0890.JPG
Or these rare hatchlings...
100_0928.JPG

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Extremely intresting! Manouria you say, emys or impressa? What happend to the eyes? Genetics, or is this species the exception when it comes to eyes?
And a baby florida softshell turtle, how cute!
And that Russian tort is cute aswell, how old is it?

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
They are beautiful! What is the little one with the Pinocchio nose?? And is the Manouria blind? What are the hatchlings too? I love learning!! ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Manouria emys emys nested for me the first time and I recovered over twenty eggs. Only four of them hatched, with the remaining being clear. One died after pipping, one has no eyes, one had a VERY large yolk that took three weeks to absorb and the last one seems normal. They hatched early. . . if memory serves, after only two months.

The little guy with no eyes gets around quite well, finding the food and water on his own, and he eats just fine. Because of this I've decided to keep him (I don't know how we're going to fare when he gets to be a big tortoise, though). Of course, eventually he may need to be euthanized, but I'm hoping we have a long time together. It's interesting to note that he has his days and nights all worked out. He's active when the light is on and nestled down asleep when it's off. What Maggie doesn't get is that I like babies too.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Extremely intresting! Manouria you say, emys or impressa? What happend to the eyes? Genetics, or is this species the exception when it comes to eyes?
And a baby florida softshell turtle, how cute!
And that Russian tort is cute aswell, how old is it?
See how you are???That's what I wanted the first time around...lol Y will answer your questions...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My Manouria emys emys nested for me the first time and I recovered over twenty eggs. Only four of them hatched, with the remaining being clear. One died after pipping, one has no eyes, one had a VERY large yolk that took three weeks to absorb and the last one seems normal. They hatched early. . . if memory serves, after only two months.

The little guy with no eyes gets around quite well, finding the food and water on his own, and he eats just fine. Because of this I've decided to keep him (I don't know how we're going to fare when he gets to be a big tortoise, though). Of course, eventually he may need to be euthanized, but I'm hoping we have a long time together. It's interesting to note that he has his days and nights all worked out. He's active when the light is on and nestled down asleep when it's off. What Maggie doesn't get is that I like babies too.
But *I am so selfish I don't notice...sorry Y...really

Jan A

Boulder, CO
well...ok... but so many people didn't have to agree with you...:(
You're so cute when you pout, Maggie! But since you roadtripped to Yvonne's & saw the current construction layout, will it be easier or harder to sneak in to "borrow" what you want? Just kidding, Yvonne...I know you'd put me to work.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
they Are adorable!!! I bet the little blind one will adapt just fine since he knows no different..

I had a friend that hatched some soft shells and I really considered getting one but decided against it in the end. I love the feel of their leathery backs and the pointed noise has such personality..

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
I don't expect anybody to respond to my weird posts mostly...But not one person commented on this little tortoise...really???Ok... lets'try this again...
I begged my sister for this Manouria. She said no...
View attachment 335212View attachment 335211
Also no comments on this guy...gosh, you guys...how many of you keep these or even know what it is???????
View attachment 335214View attachment 335213
Or these rare hatchlings...
View attachment 335215
They are all beautiful in their own way! The little one with the long snout looks like a little duck! The little blind one seems to have adapted well! Congrats tort Mom! That's your good love and caring! And the little Russian is so sweet! God bless you and your little family. I hope you never have to send the little blind one to Heaven! What are their names?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are all beautiful in their own way! The little one with the long snout looks like a little duck! The little blind one seems to have adapted well! Congrats tort Mom! That's your good love and caring! And the little Russian is so sweet! God bless you and your little family. I hope you never have to send the little blind one to Heaven! What are their names?
If the animals came to me with names I keep the names, however if they didn't have a name, or if I hatched them here, they don't get names. Right now I have many with the names "Female #1, Female #2, Male #4, etc. and I put one or two or three, etc. dots of nail polish on the corresponding vertebral scutes.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
On another topic, do you find softshells aggressive?
Growing up in China, I've seen lots of Chinese softshell turtle (not sure about the real name). Sadly to say, people breed them or capture them for food... It was believed to have super high value nutrition under the pretense of Chinese medicine... That being said, my point is my mom told me that when she was a young girl, she was teasing a bunch of softshells at home when one of them bit her finger. The turtle wouldn't let go of it, and they have to kill it to let my mom's finger free. She then had a total swollen arm for weeks.
Since I heard the story, I've never dared to touch a softshell turtle, well, not the adult ones. I'm wondering if what I heard has some truth to it. Or maybe it is species specific? ?
I now just adopted a tiny baby 3-striped mud turtle and named it Godzilla. It's adorable as hell and super hard to find in Canada. I'm wondering if one day he/she will bite my finger off too. ?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Maggie, your new additions look like they already have personalities. I used to visit my husband's parent's lake and go out in the canoe with a net. I would catch soft shells by the dozens. One at a time I would size them and touch them and then let them go. It was fun. Have fun with your new babies.