Hi everyone

VickiC

Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte Fl
My name is Vicki. I am new to owning tortoises. I recently got 3 red foot tortoise hatchlings. Zilla, Zookie and Gamera. I have done a ton of research probably too much because now I am reading conflicting information. I am hoping this forum will help provide the guidance and information I need.

Attachments

• 20231011_093014.jpg
    20231011_093014.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You likely did your research all over the place but here. This is where you will get the most updated correct info. Forget what you have already found.
Post pics of the enclosure,lighting temps and humidity and we can help you get it right.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
My name is Vicki. I am new to owning tortoises. I recently got 3 red foot tortoise hatchlings. Zilla, Zookie and Gamera. I have done a ton of research probably too much because now I am reading conflicting information. I am hoping this forum will help provide the guidance and information I need.
🤚

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Hello and Welcome. You likely did your research all over the place but here. This is where you will get the most updated correct info. Forget what you have already found.
Post pics of the enclosure,lighting temps and humidity and we can help you get it right.
I have had them a week now. Hardest part is keeping humidity up. In fluctuates between 60 and 85 percent and the temps steady around 90. In the hide side it is a constant 70 percent with 70 degrees. I have a che bulb and a uva/uvb in the canister light and then 2 small movable uva/uvb lights. Does it make a difference where I place the gauges? Should I get the ones with probes?I am currently using cypress mulch and eco soil as substrate but will add topsoil. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• 20231013_094956.jpg
    20231013_094956.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231013_095033.jpg
    20231013_095033.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231013_095051.jpg
    20231013_095051.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I have had them a week now. Hardest part is keeping humidity up. In fluctuates between 60 and 85 percent and the temps steady around 90. In the hide side it is a constant 70 percent with 70 degrees. I have a che bulb and a uva/uvb in the canister light and then 2 small movable uva/uvb lights. Does it make a difference where I place the gauges? Should I get the ones with probes?I am currently using cypress mulch and eco soil as substrate but will add topsoil. Any advice would be great.
I'd live there. I'm new, too. I'm in an information and constructing overload right now. Just glad they're still alive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unfortunately too got stuck buying a poor enclosure for tortoises. You need to close off the top. Build a frame of of wood or PVC and drape plastic over it. Or buy a portable pop up green house you can put over it
Because you also have the double fixture, which is another bad idea, I'm guess you have the wrong kind of lighting. You need a tube florescent for uvb, no coil type bulbs. If your bulb has a bend in it it's wrong and can damage their eyes.
@ZEROPILOT can help with the other lighting and heat you will need.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
This forum is really the most useful resource I've been able to found so far. So try to get info here at least on start.

1. To keep humidity high you need to cover the mesh top of the enclosure. As you have lights on the top, something like portable greenhouse top or plastic container (or two) from the house goods store will do the job. Covered (aka closed-type) enclosure is the only reliable way to keep humidity.
2. I see you have moss in the shady zone, it should be removed or placed out of reach for torts. When they eat it (they will :)), it can cause impaction and that could be lethal. With closed enclosure top humidity should be Ok without it.
3. You have redfoots, for them it's better to have even ambient temperature about 82-84F around the whole enclosure. Closed top, hopefully should help with that too.
4. Would be nice to have some shade (potted or plastic plants, buried pots or something) in the open space part of the enclosure.
5. Please,can you tell more which UVB and non- lights do you use? I see no "tube" lamps here so it's possible you have coil UVB lamp which may cause eyes problems.

P.S. - they are immensely cute!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your enclosure is not the correct type for a Redfoot. They require a closed chamber type. With a closed chamber you can easily keep humidity up over 75%.
Your uvb light is not the correct type. You need a linear florescent T5 HO UVB 10.0 or 12% tube.
Your high temperature is borderline too high. And you want an ambient temperature of 80 to 88. With 82-84 being your target. Not a hot side and cool side. In that photo, I believe you also have an incorrect and over harsh heating light.
Redfoot dislike bright lights. A CHE can keep the enclosure warm day and night because it makes no light.
3 babies is also going to be a challenge. They already each need a bigger space than the one they currently share. And as they grow, there will probably be other issues. Space is the issue for now.
What are you feeding them?
Will they be living outside?
My group live outdoors 24/7. I'm south of you in Broward county

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Your enclosure is not the correct type for a Redfoot. They require a closed chamber type. With a closed chamber you can easily keep humidity up over 75%.
Your uvb light is not the correct type. You need a linear florescent T5 HO UVB 10.0 or 12% tube.
Your high temperature is borderline too high. And you want an ambient temperature of 80 to 88. With 82-84 being your target. Not a hot side and cool side. In that photo, I believe you also have an incorrect and over harsh heating light.
Redfoot dislike bright lights. A CHE can keep the enclosure warm day and night because it makes no light.
3 babies is also going to be a challenge. They already each need a bigger space than the one they currently share. And as they grow, there will probably be other issues. Space is the issue for now.
What are you feeding them?
Will they be living outside?
My group live outdoors 24/7. I'm south of you in Broward county
Thank you! We are building a enclosure for outside as we speak. I was only supposed to have one hatching but I ended up with 3...long story. So I am working hard to keep them happy and healthy until then. One of the lights is a black light bulb...looks like the old electric stove coil..i don't keep the light on all of the time..I have 2 bendable uva/uvb lights. I feed them mostly leafy green with a little cucumber and apple. I soak every morning in warm water. They are pooping good. Setting up a room inside to put bigger habitat and will also have one on our lanai once the pool cage is put up.. thank you Ian....Really trying to do right by them and learning everyday.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Why such a minimal diet?
Redfoot can and do eat the widest range of foods in the world of tortoises.
Just about any fresh, unprocessed foods that you eat, they can eat. Including meat protein. And Redfoot should have a diet of at least 25% fruit. As much as 60%. And apple would be one of my last choices for a baby Redfoot because of potential choking issues.
You'll need to cut it into thin strips or tiny cubes. Or even just mash it.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hi Vicki 👋
As a new owner of a red foot tortoise myself, my advice is to forget everything you learned on the internet and just use this forum for all of it. Also most of the places that make close chamber enclosures are about 2-4 months out.

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Why such a minimal diet?
Redfoot can and do eat the widest range of foods in the world of tortoises.
Just about any fresh, unprocessed foods that you eat, they can eat. Including meat protein. And Redfoot should have a diet of at least 25% fruit. As much as 60%. And apple would be one of my last choices for a baby Redfoot because of potential choking issues.
You'll need to cut it into thin strips or tiny cubes. Or even just mash it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Just a few more things on enclosure:
1. No need to add topsoil to the substrate. Plain cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark are fine.
2. You have temperature and humidity meters with gauges (analog ones), they provide inaccurate readings. Electronic (with probes and display) are more precise. And it would be easier to check what's going on in the enclosure when you make a "closed" one. Probes/meters should be put near the ground (on the level of tortoise carapace).
3. On UVB (once again) - you have to remove all this "lamp" type UVB sources and it's better not to wait too long. And I think you can put usual LED lamps instead (look for color temperature closer to 6000K) in the sockets to provide ambient lightning.
4. CHE is a fine heat source, but should be put on thermostat (you didn't mention if you have one now).
I think most of the things are better to be bought from the hardware store and not from the pet shop. Except the proper type UVB lamp (T5 HO "tube" type with fittings).

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
I switch greens type everyday same with fruit. They also get a different fruit everyday. I forgot Mazuri pellets...They had eaten a lot of the food before the pic...Bought red peppers, green pepper and collard greens today...also mushrooms for protein. I didn't know I should be mashing fruits... will do that now too. I feel awful that I have them in the wrong enclosure with the wrong lights. Will fix asap.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The little ones will do best housed inside in the proper enclosure until they are big enough to move outside. The inside enclosure can be controlled for little ones
The light you have is wrong. Buy what has already been said and return or throw out the wrong stuff you have

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
The little ones will do best housed inside in the proper enclosure until they are big enough to move outside. The inside enclosure can be controlled for little ones
The light you have is wrong. Buy what has already been said and return or throw out the wrong stuff you have
Thank you. God thing Amazon takes returns. My husband is going to modify our enclosure today. They are very active and eat good. I hope I am not hurting them....

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I understand, that number of "get rid of that", "change that", "that is probably wrong" things could be overwhelming. But let it not scare you. If I made my first post a year ago with all the stuff and dietary advise I've got from the pet shop I would have had D- grade on husbandry. Now, I've at least figured out the right direction with the enclosure and can dive into diet and stuff :)
Now you can start with the indoor enclosure - fix the lightning, make a cover to keep humidity (the most simple thing is put a tin foil on top of the mesh or plastic tote), remove the sphagnum moss. This will give you enough time to sort the other things out - e.g. how to separate the hatchlings, so they don't stress each other (e.g. make them personal enclosures out of the cement mixing tubes). Outside enclosure could be left for the last stage (the little ones do better indoors, as it has been mentioned).
And don't forget to stay in touch!

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
I understand, that number of "get rid of that", "change that", "that is probably wrong" things could be overwhelming. But let it not scare you. If I made my first post a year ago with all the stuff and dietary advise I've got from the pet shop I would have had D- grade on husbandry. Now, I've at least figured out the right direction with the enclosure and can dive into diet and stuff :)
Now you can start with the indoor enclosure - fix the lightning, make a cover to keep humidity (the most simple thing is put a tin foil on top of the mesh or plastic tote), remove the sphagnum moss. This will give you enough time to sort the other things out - e.g. how to separate the hatchlings, so they don't stress each other (e.g. make them personal enclosures out of the cement mixing tubes). Outside enclosure could be left for the last stage (the little ones do better indoors, as it has been mentioned).
And don't forget to stay in touch!
Separate hatchlings? The rescue told me to keep them together..they dig near each other and sleep.

Husband made this until we get back from store. Lights are on the lowest setting...hope this is OK

You guys are fabulous.. thank you so much

Attachments

• 20231013_135625.jpg
    20231013_135625.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1