Hi everyone

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
Thank you! We are building a enclosure for outside as we speak. I was only supposed to have one hatching but I ended up with 3...long story. So I am working hard to keep them happy and healthy until then. One of the lights is a black light bulb...looks like the old electric stove coil..i don't keep the light on all of the time..I have 2 bendable uva/uvb lights. I feed them mostly leafy green with a little cucumber and apple. I soak every morning in warm water. They are pooping good. Setting up a room inside to put bigger habitat and will also have one on our lanai once the pool cage is put up.. thank you Ian....Really trying to do right by them and learning everyday.
Is a lanai a porch?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Separate hatchlings? The rescue told me to keep them together..they dig near each other and sleep.

Husband made this until we get back from store. Lights are on the lowest setting...hope this is OK

You guys are fabulous.. thank you so much
This will last for a night or two because of humidity and condensate. But should do the trick :) Using CHE with a cardboard could be unsafe (it gets very hot and ceramic socket too), if there are only lights now, no need to worry, just watch the temperatures.

On separating hatchlings - it was mentioned on ZEROPILOT's post above. Redfoot are a bit less territorial than other species and to have three is better than to have two yet they need a lot of space when kept together. I'm absolutely numb on this topic as I have only one tortoise but I would trust ZEROPILOT's experience on the matter. You mentioned, that a larger indoors enclosure is being made and maybe it would be enough until they grow up to the "outdoors age".

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
A plastic bin lid is what I used till I got a sheet of plexiglass. Be careful of temps when you 'put a lid on it" (lol) cause they will climb fast. The guys helping you are good, very good. You landed in a good place. Go over the care sheets, they are the best.

good luck,

jeff

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Your enclosure is not the correct type for a Redfoot. They require a closed chamber type. With a closed chamber you can easily keep humidity up over 75%.
Your uvb light is not the correct type. You need a linear florescent T5 HO UVB 10.0 or 12% tube.
Your high temperature is borderline too high. And you want an ambient temperature of 80 to 88. With 82-84 being your target. Not a hot side and cool side. In that photo, I believe you also have an incorrect and over harsh heating light.
Redfoot dislike bright lights. A CHE can keep the enclosure warm day and night because it makes no light.
3 babies is also going to be a challenge. They already each need a bigger space than the one they currently share. And as they grow, there will probably be other issues. Space is the issue for now.
What are you feeding them?
Will they be living outside?
My group live outdoors 24/7. I'm south of you in Broward county
I am at the store now..can only find t5 ho uvb 10 but it's days 12% uvb.. is this OK?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Here is how I house my Redfoot Logan...I put a mini greenhouse over a wooden tort table, it completely encloses the table. The temps stay between 84 and 87 degrees, I have a che on one end, and a black light bulb on the other. I do have a light, a 65 watt incandescent bulb I only use when it's time to eat. I also use a paint roller pan as a soaking tub...my humidity stays between 85% and 90%...it's 6'x2.5'....See how humid it is?
DSCN1011.JPG
I use a heater at one end that is used for baby chicks...DSCN1009.JPG
a few plants and rocks n stuff...this was right after I finished...there's no humidity yet...lolDSCN0987.JPG
Logan sleeps in that cave thing...he's standing in front of an empty food dish...DSCN1709.JPG
Take what you need of the advice and throw away the rest. You've got experienced people helping you now...

Jennpaints

Pasadena, MD
Hi Vicki! Welcome!

My redfoots love all sorts of greens, papaya, eggs, chicken, you name it… they’ll try most stuff you put down so try to vary it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm still learning about the diet myself. Much harder topic than enclosures :)

I tried to make a "summary" from posts on the forum, not finished yet - still have to do my "homework" :)
"Plant"-sourced protein like mushrooms, tortoise pellets (Mazuri and etc.) could be fed 2-3 times a week...
On animal protein - opinions vary, from once in a month to every other day... Sigh... Probably I will stick with once a week as a middle-ground. That's for the raw meats like boiled chicken/eggs, dog food and such. With insects and friends - twice a week.

Proteins could be up to 20% (or 10% on the safe side) of Redfoots diet and it's better to feed them in smaller quantities and more often...

There are "ready to serve" plans on TortoiseLibrary - they aren't 100% matching to what ZEROPILOT does, but "two bowls" plan seems to be close enough.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I switch greens type everyday same with fruit. They also get a different fruit everyday. I forgot Mazuri pellets...They had eaten a lot of the food before the pic...Bought red peppers, green pepper and collard greens today...also mushrooms for protein. I didn't know I should be mashing fruits... will do that now too. I feel awful that I have them in the wrong enclosure with the wrong lights. Will fix asap.
You shouldn't feel awful. You didn't know. There's a lot of misinformation out there. You've found a good place to talk tort early in their lives. Your torts will do better because of that. You can find better economical ways here to do what you need to do. Welcome 🤗 to TFO.

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
I am truly thankful for all of your guidance and encouraging words. We have made several changes and they are already much more active. Hubby is building a top to put on enclosure to help with humidity and proper light placement. I think that Zilla is a boy (see attached pic)...just kidding..I know it's easy to really to tell. I will share pics of changes soon.

Attachments

• 20231011_091252.jpg
    20231011_091252.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I am truly thankful for all of your guidance and encouraging words. We have made several changes and they are already much more active. Hubby is building a top to put on enclosure to help with humidity and proper light placement. I think that Zilla is a boy (see attached pic)...just kidding..I know it's easy to really to tell. I will share pics of changes soon.
Thank you for the update! Lovely pic of a little Zilla!

Looking forward for the pictures of upgraded enclosure! (And of little torts of course, it could never be enough!)

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Update: Hubby built a top for the enclosure, changed lights, and took out the divider. We finally have consistent temp and humidity. Zilla, Zookie and Gamera are much more active and have great appetites. A few minor tweaks and we should be good for now. Already working on the lanai enclosure.

Attachments

• 20231017_194111.jpg
    20231017_194111.jpg
    949.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231017_182128.jpg
    20231017_182128.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231017_181550.jpg
    20231017_181550.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231017_181600.jpg
    20231017_181600.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Update: Hubby built a top for the enclosure, changed lights, and took out the divider. We finally have consistent temp and humidity. Zilla, Zookie and Gamera are much more active and have great appetites. A few minor tweaks and we should be good for now. Already working on the lanai enclosure.
That cover looks great, nice job!

VickiC

Port Charlotte Fl
Wow! Great job! I would add one or couple of hides (half-buried pot, for example) just in case if one of them would like to have some private space
There are 2 half log hides (opposite sides)..hard to see in photo. I buried them so they can walk on top but they have plenty of room to bury themselves. Adding pots as they grow out of the log hides.