Hi from New Zealand

dbhannah

Hi
We have had the testudo hermanni tortoise for a few years now, we have a breeding group of 2 females (11 & 12 years old) and one male (22 years old)
Last year we had one little baby survive our ignorance, she is currently sleeping for the first time.
This year we have 15 little babies survive, we learnt.

We are however still learning on how to care for these little guys

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have your here. I also have a group of 1.2 Hermanni but they all still young at the age about 5,6 old.

Care to share some photo with us? This is a great place to learn and share. Welcome.

dbhannah

The male came to us with a damaged shell he had been kept with male greek tortoises.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Welcome to TFO! Your torts are beautiful:) The thing is there is a lot of misinformation about tortoises... I'd suggest more weeds & grasses & leafy greens in there diet, the male is pyramiding (he was raised too dryly). Please feel free to read this, it's REALLY important!
Care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....TOISE-(SULCATA)-CARE-SHEET.52524/#post-503633
http://
Diet sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Sulcata-Diet-Sheet.52677/#post-505275
Here's another helpful thread (night boxes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/My-Best-Night-Box-Design-Yet.66867/#post-632974
Good luck :D

dbhannah

Hi yes I know he's pyramiding, he was a lot worse before we got him, we have had to treat his shell for shell rot as well where the greeks got to his shell. He is recovering, but it is a slow process, and to get the proper diet back into them all.
The mixed veges are what we sprinkle the vitamin supplement on, and they also have access to our lawn which has a lot of plants that they can graze on. The difficulty has been in getting the right nutrients into them, without overfeeding them with supplements

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hi yes I know he's pyramiding, he was a lot worse before we got him, we have had to treat his shell for shell rot as well where the greeks got to his shell. He is recovering, but it is a slow process, and to get the proper diet back into them all.
The mixed veges are what we sprinkle the vitamin supplement on, and they also have access to our lawn which has a lot of plants that they can graze on. The difficulty has been in getting the right nutrients into them, without overfeeding them with supplements
Peas aren't good to feed (they stop calcium absorption because of phyletic acid & contain too much protein), carrots are fed by some grated for deworming and Vit (There are healthier sources, just check that link), corn on the cob should not be fed since it's too high in protein, phosphorus, & sugars (that can cause acidosis which may cause severe intestinal problems & death)...
I'd recommend using thetortoisetable.org to find if food is safe! Good luck :D
By the way supplements can be used 2-3 times a week, over supplementing is as bad as under supplementing!

dbhannah

Thank you so much for the information, we have been accessing the tortoise forum in the uk, and looked at their care sheets to help. However being based in New Zealand it has meant that a lot of the grasses that are plentiful in the UK are scarce here, so trying to find alternatives has been the main issue.
I will check out all the links and see what I can find, that we have here

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . Herrmann's are a great torts I have 7 of my own . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Beautiful animals, all are 100% of the Eastern subspecies (T. h. boettgeri) but in order to be positive whether or not they are the Dalmatian strain (formerly T. h. hercegovinensis) I'll need some clear plastron shots.

dbhannah

Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . Herrmann's are a great torts I have 7 of my own . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Thats great! I must admit that the three have been great to have and then when we had a little baby last year I was completely entranced by them even more! (she's doing well and sleeping at the moment) but to have 15 babies this year!
Wow what a journey of learning this has been, still got a long way to go, but loving the journey all the same!

dbhannah

Beautiful animals, all are 100% of the Eastern subspecies (T. h. boettgeri) but in order to be positive whether or not they are the Dalmatian strain (formerly T. h. hercegovinensis) I'll need some clear plastron shots.

They are asleep at the moment, but when they wake I will get a some photos for you :)

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Hi
We have had the testudo hermanni tortoise for a few years now, we have a breeding group of 2 females (11 & 12 years old) and one male (22 years old)
Last year we had one little baby survive our ignorance, she is currently sleeping for the first time.
This year we have 15 little babies survive, we learnt.

We are however still learning on how to care for these little guys
Hi dbhannah - Welcome - I am from New Zealand also, Palmerston North. Thought I was the only Kiwi here. I have 2 x two year old Hermann's and a rising three year old three toed Box. I have ordered two Greek's that I will get late 2015 (cant wait). Your tort's are looking very happy chaffing out on veg hope their sleep went well.
I see a few tort's on trademe in the last month, there was a wonderful photo of a large clutch of Hermann babies. Very tempting to get a couple more. Are you going to breed or have you got baby Greeks at the moment. Wendy

dbhannah

Hi Wendy
The tortoises (the large clutch) on trademe are ours.
We are still learning about tortoises, and the care they require. We didn't let the babies hibernate this last winter, and so they grew really well. We are going to let a few more go, because we have noticed we have a few males coming through. We've just started putting them outside during the day and letting them graze.
I made a mistake about our baby from last year, he's a male too, and we now have to keep him separated, because he's taken a liking to anything that walks. lol
The adults have all come out of hibernation well, and are eating well, we noticed the male chasing the girls the other day, so it won't be long before he gets them to stand still. Then its back to egg hunting.

We have (I think) a pair of 3 toed box, who are also going on three (probably from the same breeder)
We do really well with our leopard geckos, but we also have coastal dragons, bearded dragons, and water dragons, which are all starting to do their thing. The reeves turtles are also laying at the moment, pulled 9 eggs out of one nest and another 3 out of another nest, so the incubators are starting to fill, but the season is still early.

We've looked at the Greeks, but haven't gone there yet, maybe next year.