Hi I am a new member....

deni59

My name is Deni and my Sulcata is named Valentine. "he was acquired on Valentines Day" I think 5 years ago. He has become an outside, backyard kinda of fellow. I was looking for ideas on an outside enclosure to keep him warm and comfy. I live in San Antonio. I would also love some feeding ideas.

Deni

gg888

Location (City and/or State)
England
My name is Deni and my Sulcata is named Valentine. "he was acquired on Valentines Day" I think 5 years ago. He has become an outside, backyard kinda of fellow. I was looking for ideas on an outside enclosure to keep him warm and comfy. I live in San Antonio. I would also love some feeding ideas.

Deni
Welcome to the forum Deni & Valentine! You'll find lots of enclosure ideas on here, and I'm sure everybody has great ideas. I'm from England, and it's winter, so an outdoor enclosure is something I'll be taking care of in a few months ready for spring :)

gg888

England

Deni
Also, for feeding. I find it's more cost effective to grow your own food (you can get lots of tortoise mix seeds on eBay). I'm out in the garden everyday scavenging for weeds and my sully loves them! He also loves romaine. And I squeeze in a bit of kale or cucumber as a treat :). I try and keep a constant supply of Timothy hay, dried dandelion leaves, clover and plantain in his enclosure to graze too.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Terry is adorable. I love Russian Tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Deni, and welcome to the Forum!

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Welcome to the forum Deni ! What size and how old is Valentine ? Do you want an eclosure (night box) he can grow into ? Some great feeding suggestions I found here on tortoise forum were #1 Orchard hay. It is the primary food source for my adult sulcata. He loves it mixed with little bits of other stuff. #2 Mulberry leaves. A fruitless mulberry tree provides lots of leaves to mix in with the hay. Our sulcatta really really loves those leaves. Do not feed the berries to your tortoise. Get a small fruitless mulberry tree.

Bok Choy from the grocery store (rinsed well) is another favorite item we chop up and bury in his hay just to make the hay more enticing. Let's face it, hay every day requires some variety to go along with it. Fresh cut grass from our small lawn is great too. No pesticides or fertilizer.

Hope this helps.