HI! Im new and need to know a lot! please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TURTWIG!

5 Year Member
I live in Aruba but am from the UK, i bought a tortoise here admitedly naively and asked him what species it was and he just said "its a land turtle" so i have looked it up myself to try and establish the breed of it, origionally I thought it was a dessert tortoise but i am now pretty sure it is a red footed tortoise which is quite alarming as looking at various different websites means it has a different dietary need then most other tortoises doesnt it? I've attached a picture of him/her so if someone could please confirm the species that would be great. I also have now idea how old he is although i think roughly 6 months? is there a way to tell? i find it really hard to find the sort of greens that people in the UK always say are good for him because they just don't grow here, stuff that is supposed to be good for him like Aloe Vera he doesn't like, i gave him Rocket the other day he defiantly likes that but it is good for him? Andy info would be great thank you. :)

Attachments

• 643897_10151226572656726_1353660591_n.jpg
    643897_10151226572656726_1353660591_n.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 74

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I don't know but my guess is cherry head or red foot. It's head looks more red in the picture, to me. Good luck. Someone will come along and tell you everything you need to know. Welcome and Congratulations!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, TURTWIG!

Yes, you have a redfooted tortoise. You can find some really good info on the RF tortoises in the Tortoise Library, which was compiled by our own Mark (Madkins007).

Rocket salad is a good thing to add to a varied diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) high humidity, is one thing he needs to grow smooth and be healthy. The website emysemys suggested would be the best place to start. Then if you have any questions, lay them on us. We have lots of very knowledgable Redfoot owners very willing to help.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you got yourself a redfoot there :D Check out the redfoot section on this forum and soak in all the information you can! Best wishes!

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Status
Not open for further replies.