Hi! NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atklosek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hancock, MI
Hi, over the past few months me and my girlfriend have been very interested in getting a tortoise for our house. We have done a lot of research and recently went to a local petstore and had a look to see what they had. When we got there we found out that the owners had just taken over the store at the beginning of the year and have no idea how to take care of tortoise and have no idea what they had. They had two in a take that looked like they were in real bad condition. When we took one out it pooped all over my girlfriends hands and we saw that it had worms. We told the owner and all she had to say was "tortoises can get worms?!" ...not a good sign. we decided to get them and get them out of that place because it was obvious they were not taking good care of them at all. The one big problem is that we dont know what exact species they are and we need to figure this out before we are able to put their complete habitat together. i have some pictures of them posted below and ill get pictures of the habitat we built up later on for some constructive criticism.

j7yz2u.jpg

2mrha0z.jpg

i74j12.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Looks like a hindgeback to me. But I am only a redfoot geek. I'm sure someone will confirm. If they have worms, you should take them to a vet asap to take care of the problem before the parasite load overwhelms their system. Welcome.

Allegra

atklosek

5 Year Member
Hancock, MI
yeah the only problem is that the nearest vet that takes care of tortoises is over an hour away so i need to hold out till the weekend for that. and i think it would be good to have the species ready for the vet when we get there to avoid any sort of confusion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Atklosek:

Welcome to the forum!!

I think its a hingeback. I don't know anything about them, but we do have a couple folks here on the forum who keep them and will help you. kyryah and redfootnerd are two that I know of.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I just read your post and was wondering how your little buddies were doing? And if you knew which species they were?
:) Mary Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.