Hi. New tortoise owner here. Looking to make a good home.

DaveRoth

Hi. My daughters had begged and begged for a turtle, so I gave in and got a tortoise b/c I didn't want a water turtle.

When I saw the sulcata, I knew that was what I wanted and I want to take care of it. I've been trying to give it grass and hay, but I think it needs more tender greens, being very young, about 3 inches long.

Also, I've been reading on here about humidity. I do soak it for 10 to 15 minutes a day and I'll take it by the window to get some sun. It's got a lamp that we bought when we bought the tortoise.

I was thinking about building it a tortoise table and allowing it to burrow with a mound of substrate. I was reading that a good substrate is 50/50 sterile topsoil and playground sand.

I'll try to make a humid hide for it today, with an upside down plastic container.

Is it okay if I soak the bottom of the hide with a little water?

I take it out to get natural sunlight and exercise, weather permitting. I live in Oklahoma now. Not very warm here at the moment. Some days are better than others. The cage stays b/w 65 and 80.

I've read that a glass enclosure is bad, so that's why I'm going to build a turtle table asap.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to watching him grow with a healthy shell, and no pyramiding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave, and welcome to the Forum!

Please be sure to read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section, because some of what you have detailed here is wrong and may cause harm to your new baby.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hello and welcome!

No sand! I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there, but sand is NOT GOOD. If the tortoise ingests some, it can cause an impaction.