Hi

Quiggers

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site today. Happy New Year to you all! I just wanted to ask a question or two if I may. I have been given a Sulcata tortoise as a Christmas gift from my (grown up) kids. I did breed Meds and Greeks many years ago, but have no experience with this particular breed. I have read a fair bit since receiving him on 20th December, but can't help wondering if he is a little underweight. He is supposedly 4 months old and weighs 75g. He weighed only 65g when I got him. I have all the kit, in terms of his thermometer, humidity, UVA, UVB and Infrared etc; I have soaked him as instructed in correct temp water and he is moving well and appears to be searching for food. However, I am really struggling to get him to eat the dried grass, which appears a little tough to me for this little hatchling. I have cut it up small and its a good recommended mix, but he just walks past it! I have given him spinach and fresh grass a couple of times so he is taking in some calories! But, I am aware that the spinach should only be a treat and want to get it right. As I said, I'm not a novice with tortoises, but I am with this breed's diet! Any tips? His name is Cecil, bye the way and I am totally in love with this little (for now) guy! I've wanted a tortoise again for so long and he's just peachy! Thanks in anticipation of a response.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Aren't little sulcatas the cutest things? Most babies are not too fond of the dry hays and grasses. So many of us will feed the babies grocery store greens, like Spring mix is a very common one. Some spinach is okay, BUT only as part of a varied and complete diet, so do try to stay away from it. You might want to try also soaking the dry grasses and starting off with it more as a top dressing to the softer store greens. Also if you can find safe (chemical free) weeds to feed that is even better. Things like dandelion, clovers, plantain, to just name three. When available mulberry and grape leaves along with cactus are wonderful too. Once you start looking you are going to be amazed at all the weeds and even store foods they can eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

So much of what you read about raising baby sulcatas is old and out-dated. You'd do well to just forget everything anyone has told you or you have read, and start with a clean slate. Go to the Sulcata section here on the Forum, and read the "important threads" which are at the top of that section. We have the most current info here, from members who are all over the world, even in Africa, where the sulcata comes from. We won't steer you wrong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Some of those important sulcata threads are also below in my post. They are forum member Toms and will provide a great, healthy way to raise your sully healthy and smooth.

Oh, I would also chop up the greens and hay tiny and soak in water for a bit and then try to incorporate it into the other greens he does like too eat.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Quiggers

Hello All and Happy New Year!

Hi All,
I'm new to this site and sent a long msg the other day which I'm not sure has been sent or if it's still being moderated! So just trying one more test to see if this appears in my 'sent items' folder before I give up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Hello All and Happy New Year!

Quiggers said:
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and sent a long msg the other day which I'm not sure has been sent or if it's still being moderated! So just trying one more test to see if this appears in my 'sent items' folder before I give up!

There's a glitch with the PM system, and all PM's from every member show "n/a" even though they have been sent. If you mean your post in a thread, then yes, your first five posts are moderated and won't show up until a moderator is online to approve them. I show that you have posted twice. Both posts appear on the Forum, and I've merged them both into this thread.