Hibernating baby tortoise?

LeanneSapphire

Location (City and/or State)
London
So I have 2 baby horse field tortoises. The oldest is 1 and a half years old, and my youngest is 8months.
I need some information on when to hibernate them for the first time and the best method.
When I asked the shop I brought them from, the man told me not to hibernate them until they’re around 5 years old. Is this true?
If not when should I first hibernate them? And also the best method?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't allow brumation until I've had babies for three years, but you can allow it any time you want. Babies in the wild brumate. However, I like for them to have a bit of size on them and be a little more hardy than a baby before I make them go through that. The refrigerator method is best, but if you don't have a refrigerator dedicated to reptiles, you can box them up in shredded paper and put the box in a cool, dry, quiet spot where the temperature doesn't get below 40F degrees or above 45F degrees. You can do a search for hibernation or brumation and read the threads we have in our archives about the subject.

LeanneSapphire

London
I don't allow brumation until I've had babies for three years, but you can allow it any time you want. Babies in the wild brumate. However, I like for them to have a bit of size on them and be a little more hardy than a baby before I make them go through that. The refrigerator method is best, but if you don't have a refrigerator dedicated to reptiles, you can box them up in shredded paper and put the box in a cool, dry, quiet spot where the temperature doesn't get below 40F degrees or above 45F degrees. You can do a search for hibernation or brumation and read the threads we have in our archives about the subject.
Thank you so much for your help, very helpful !!