Hibernating Hermann's

ELLIE753

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom, West Sussex
Hi there,
I know its a long way off as its just started to get nice again weather wise, but how do you guys get your hermanns hibernating. I always worry which is silly but any advice tips or different ways to do this?

Thanks in advance

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I just let my Hermann's outside. It's colder here than in their natural habitat, that's why I have added a cold frame to their enclosure. They slow down, spend more and more time in the cold frame, stop eating and finally dig in for brumation.
I don't have to do anything at all, I only keep the cold frame frost-free and wait for them to wake up in spring. :)

ELLIE753

United Kingdom, West Sussex
I just let my Hermann's outside. It's colder here than in their natural habitat, that's why I have added a cold frame to their enclosure. They slow down, spend more and more time in the cold frame, stop eating and finally dig in for brumation.
I don't have to do anything at all, I only keep the cold frame frost-free and wait for them to wake up in spring. :)
I am worried as my tort has shown no since of wanting of hibernate at all ever when temps drop!!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
How deep do they drop? They need shorter days and colder temps, especially at night, to start hibernation.

themacfile

I hibernate my hermann tortoise in the fridge after a four week fasting period, get a plastic box, big enough for your Hermann to rotate 360 degrees and put him in the fridge, PLEASE NOTE: if you suspect your hermann to be potentially ill the DO NOT hibernate hime as it can result in death, also do not hibernate your tortoise within the first 12 months of having him.

Happy to help!
Tobes

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I hibernate my hermann tortoise in the fridge after a four week fasting period, get a plastic box, big enough for your Hermann to rotate 360 degrees and put him in the fridge,
From your other posts, I had the impression that you don't even have a tortoise yet...
So you already had a Hermann's and hibernated it in the fridge despite your wifes dislike?

Speed bump

I have two adult Hermann's,the weather in n.z South Island is very cold in winter,I have them in a spare bedroom ,there is a large heated box in a wardrobe, what substance should I put on box floor so they can bury under? food ,water,etc is in the room,were they have full access to is also warm but a slightly lower temp. I have never hibernated them.